Anchoring offshore.

Welster

Following on from the thread in the last few days about anchor rope.   I am interested to hear people's thoughts on anchoring offshore.

I currently have 10mm silver rope and am considering changing to 10mm nylon 200m long .  I am thinking it's a little easier on the hands and has more stretch so should be less likely to pull the anchor.

As I don't have a winch I will intend to get a retrieval ball.  

So I am after advice on.....if Nylon rope is preferred, ball types and is anchoring in say 40-50m without a winch practical or to much effort.  

Thinking of snapper fishing btw. 

1 hour ago, Welster said:

Following on from the thread in the last few days about anchor rope.   I am interested to hear people's thoughts on anchoring offshore.

I currently have 10mm silver rope and am considering changing to 10mm nylon 200m long .  I am thinking it's a little easier on the hands and has more stretch so should be less likely to pull the anchor.

As I don't have a winch I will intend to get a retrieval ball.  

So I am after advice on.....if Nylon rope is preferred, ball types and is anchoring in say 40-50m without a winch practical or to much effort.  

Thinking of snapper fishing btw. 

If your anchor is pulling/dragging I've I find it's not usually the rope used.From what I've seen way to many people don't have enough chain inbetween the anchor and rode,Use to light an anchor,and most importantly don't pay out enough rods when anchoring.A good guide I use is to have an angle of 30-45deg in the line from your bow to the surface of the water.

If those above things are wrong your anchor can and will drag.You want a nice belly in the chain to keep the pull on the anchor horizontal and set.

The Alderney ring and buoy work well or you can make your own up with a plastic barrel etc.

I've anchored in that much water plenty of times in the past and even now in some of the deeper parts of the estuaries and just motor over the top of the anchor pulling the line in by hand over the bow roller.How much effort it takes will be dictated by your size and strength I guess ,but the easiest way other than a winch definitely is the buoy system.

Again I'd like to hear from others.

hi welster stick with the silver rope and buy a float and clip..its the only way to anchor in my opinion..i have a vsea cuddy and fish by myself often  I can anchor and retrieve in 90mts of water with little effort..drive past float keep going till anchor chain comes up and hits clip.the float will bounce on the surface stop turn boat around and idle back towards float pulling in slack rope with ease..simple effortless easy..i cant imagine pulling an anchor in by hand..thats archaic and too much hard work..choose anchor type to suit bottom your dropping it on and use plenty of chain ..I put a foto on a previous thread of the reef picks I use with a breakaway rig..look up.[anchoring in deep water over reefs]...hope this helps..rick

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hi welster stick with the silver rope and buy a float and clip..its the only way to anchor in my opinion..i have a vsea cuddy and fish by myself often  I can anchor and retrieve in 90mts of water with little effort..drive past float keep going till anchor chain comes up and hits clip.the float will bounce on the surface stop turn boat around and idle back towards float pulling in slack rope with ease..simple effortless easy..i cant imagine pulling an anchor in by hand..thats archaic and too much hard work..choose anchor type to suit bottom your dropping it on and use plenty of chain ..I put a foto on a previous thread of the reef picks I use with a breakaway rig..look up.[anchoring in deep water over reefs]...hope this helps..rick

Thanks Rick. 

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

If your anchor is pulling/dragging I've I find it's not usually the rope used.From what I've seen way to many people don't have enough chain inbetween the anchor and rode,Use to light an anchor,and most importantly don't pay out enough rods when anchoring.A good guide I use is to have an angle of 30-45deg in the line from your bow to the surface of the water.

If those above things are wrong your anchor can and will drag.You want a nice belly in the chain to keep the pull on the anchor horizontal and set.

The Alderney ring and buoy work well or you can make your own up with a plastic barrel etc.

I've anchored in that much water plenty of times in the past and even now in some of the deeper parts of the estuaries and just motor over the top of the anchor pulling the line in by hand over the bow roller.How much effort it takes will be dictated by your size and strength I guess ,but the easiest way other than a winch definitely is the buoy system.

Again I'd like to hear from others.

Thanks Fab1.    I usually have heaps of rope out.   The current anchor has less chain than my old one and also the dick on it. Generally I don't have a problem holding bottom.  I was thinking the extra stretch and softness of nylon would be a good thing, I had always liked the idea of a painter rope with springer and figured the nylon might serve the same purpose. 

30 minutes ago, Welster said:

Thanks Fab1.    I usually have heaps of rope out.   The current anchor has less chain than my old one and also the dick on it. Generally I don't have a problem holding bottom.  I was thinking the extra stretch and softness of nylon would be a good thing, I had always liked the idea of a painter rope with springer and figured the nylon might serve the same purpose. 

What's the purpose of the dick?Does it have a longer shaft for better penetration into the seabed?Tell you what,you don't want to get it snagged.Just kidding,I know what you mean.

Good luck with your choices as Rick has given you  some good info.

12 hours ago, Fab1 said:

What's the purpose of the dick?Does it have a longer shaft for better penetration into the seabed?Tell you what,you don't want to get it snagged.Just kidding,I know what you mean.

Good luck with your choices as Rick has given you  some good info.

To funny it was meant to say sock.  :wacko:   I could say so much but better not.