New to soft plastics

Duzzy

Hi there, 

new to the site.  I used to do a lot of fishing we are about to do a loop of Australia.  My wife and I each bought a Shakespeare wild series combo with a 3-5kg rating, putting 8kg fire line and a heavier leader.  Was wondering if using 50-65 mm squidgys what weight and size hook should I look for?

regards 

Duzzy

Jighead weight is very dependant in the depth and current of the water you are fishing in, and the species you are fishing for. In general, the lighter the jighead the better, providing it is getting to the bottom, and not just being effected by the current. There are a heap of You Tube clips on fishing SP. It is a very addictive method of fishing. Ask for advise at your local tackle store.

I would go a reasonable 4kg braid rather than fire line (in my experience fire line is rubbish although others may disagree), 4kg should be sufficient if your only using 50-65mm soft plastics just vary your leader depending on what your targeting.

I'm assuming a loop of Australia is the whole round trip (I have severe jealousy). The jig heads will need to vary depending on where you are, the southern end fine gauge hooks and light weights will do fine for bream and flatties and the like, but in the northern reaches the same jig heads would be destroyed or straightened.

As Cargo said youtube and local tackle shops are a valuable source of info

happy travelling

Dave