Hairtail in the Hawkesbury

Wellzy94

Hey raiders, I'm heading to the Hawkes' overnight in a few weeks chasing the toothy buggers. Does anyone know if they've made it up into waratah and jerusalem bays in numbers yet? 

If not, is there a better option of location to get after them? I went out three times last year for only 2 hairies, so I want to be where they are to maximise my chances of boating a few.

Cheers,

Wellzy

12 hours ago, Brew said:

Hey Wellzy,

I was at Waratah Monday night for zero. Seemed all boats were also zero. 

They are being caught though so still worth a go. 

Brew

Yeah that's what I've been hearing. They are there, but not yet in the numbers like this time last year. Do they show up in numbers in other areas of Cowan, like Coal&Candle?

Cheers,

Wellzy

I think both areas are good but it just depends on when you are there, I feel that they swim between the two.

They have been caught at Smiths but not great numbers. When I was younger we used to go out from Akuna Bay and go east and that was the best spot then, my mate caught the NSW junior record from that area (that was a while ago now). I do not hear of many if any reports coming from that area now  but I am sure that they would be there and it is close to a boat ramp.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.  Can anyone tell me if its too late for trying a night for hairies?  I have been meaning to try them before and we were finally looking at a night this week. Hope i haven't missed this year.

8 minutes ago, Tin Tub said:

Hi all.  Can anyone tell me if its too late for trying a night for hairies?  I have been meaning to try them before and we were finally looking at a night this week. Hope i haven't missed this year.

Probably best time of year is right now to chase them! Good luck!