Glorious Morning

recurve

Went out fishing for Jews on Friday night from 5.30pm to 8pm. Home by 8.30 so was able to claim a day Snapper fishing for Saturday morning. Getting that leave pass was touch and go but I held fast and I got it issued. Without losing giving a compromise as a trade as well. 

Launched Bellambi around 6am and slowly headed off to one of the spot X's. Was actually really lumpy and we were being thrown around a fair bit. We were side on to the anchor as the wind and current were equally as strong. Sent the first plastic out and let it flutter in the current for about 5 min and then paid the consequences as was on the bottom.....wait, no its giving me line. Think I might have a Cuttlefish. Was a slow retrieve as fishing an 8 foot 2-4kg rod with 8lb braid but after a patient retrieve there was the Cuttlefish. Very happy about that!. Not a massive one but had to be 5kg.

Then we had a big whale of a tail flap about 40m from the boat and another minute later there was a big booming splash 30m from the boat....oh shivers....can they see us? Was shallow, lots of chop and we had big whales sploshing about us, had thoughts of them hitting the anchor rope. I put Spotify on the stereo on and blasted some tunes (Sail, by Awolnation) so they knew we were there. Maybe I was paranoid. Anyway it worked as one of them came and surfaced right behind the boat very close to our lines. Raised his back and 'Sailed' off. Wow!! Maybe he liked the music, is a great song.

Back to fishing. We caught a few Reds 2 were good sizes and one was ok. The biggest Sergeant Baker we have ever seen came on board as well as a tonne of Slimies and Barrcouta. 

Now here is the greatest moment of my fishing life thus far. 

I was looking up and over towards the shore and about 60m - 80m  away I saw a clip from Shark Week. A huge Shark, easy over 3m easy maybe 4, I am not kidding or exaggerating!. This was a substantially Sized Shark.It was very dark on the top and very light like white on the bottom. It looked Black and White. It left the water entirely, went on it's side, I could see it's jaws open and it fell back to the sea with a mighty big splash. It would have cleared the water by 1.5m - 2m. It was exactly like the shark week footage with the Great Whites. I don't know what it was, but it looked just like the Great Whites on Shark Week breaching. My mate was adamant it would have been a big Mako. I don't know but it was one of those two species for sure. It was pretty well bang on where Shayleys is off Bellambi Reef. So I was completely buzzing out and would not shut up about it. That is hands down the most epic thing I have ever seen while on a boat. Whales saying hello and massive sharks jumping in front of me what could happen next. There are big Sharks off Bellambi Reef, I am an eye witness to it. 

Settled back into things and we were getting nailed by pickers. I gave the jig head a tug tug and BAM!!! Yupp I was on a red and it was a good one. I have not fished for Reds with such light gear before and it was all on. I was convinced I was going to lose it as the drag was way to tight and the reel I was using was a crapper so was very jerky. Some fiddling and i wound to far (Crappy Reel) and line was flying off so cranked it back, fumble fumble. Got it right and had an epic fight. In it came and attached is a photo of her all prepped. She went 61cm. Don't know the weight but very happy. The clock ticked 8.45 and I called it. Back home before 10am. Happy wife, happy life. Especially after a treat of session like that. 1x 61cm Snapper, 1 Whale, 1 Shark Jump and the biggest Sergeant Baker you have every seen. Oh and the best Snapper Bait you can get (Cuttlefish)

Snapper.jpg

Edited by recurve
Distance of Shark not 100m more like 60m - 80m. Hard to judge distance over water.

They are the best Snapper bait. Take the back off them. comes off in one big triangle piece. take the Candles off (Very best part) We cut into long slivers thin on one end and bait up. They hit this hard. 

+1 for putting cuttlefish in a bucket, they make a right mess of your esky and any fish you've got in there. I caught one a touch smaller a few weeks ago (weighed 3.5kg), and it inked twice in the net, four more times in the bucket.

Kept the hood to cook up, got the rest in the freezer :)

How big was the baker? Had an est. 60cm baker take a live yakka a few months ago.

Cheers,

Wellzy

On 6/18/2017 at 6:02 PM, recurve said:

1x 61cm Snapper, 1 Whale, 1 Shark Jump and the biggest Sergeant Baker you have every seen. Oh and the best Snapper Bait you can get (Cuttlefish)

Snapper.jpg

that sums up for a great morning fish

ps. did u catch anything the night before

2 hours ago, Regan said:

that sums up for a great morning fish

ps. did u catch anything the night before

I caught a pike......no Jewys. But that's Jewy hunting. Was a very pleasant evening though.

10 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

+1 for putting cuttlefish in a bucket, they make a right mess of your esky and any fish you've got in there. I caught one a touch smaller a few weeks ago (weighed 3.5kg), and it inked twice in the net, four more times in the bucket.

Kept the hood to cook up, got the rest in the freezer :)

How big was the baker? Had an est. 60cm baker take a live yakka a few months ago.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Hey Wellzy not sure but would have been around 60. My mate caught it and thought he was on a big snapper. His disapointment was devastatingly obvious