Cooks river

jtp

Hi everyone,

Went for a short early morning session in the yak today before first light (4am) at the cooks river. It's getting pretty damn cold. Struggled to wind in fish today with frozen hands.

Have never fished it before but thought i'd scout the bridges. Unfortunately there must be short in my circuit; couldnt get the sounder started. So just fished the pylons blindly using a shad sp and soft vibe at the bridge. Caught 3 nice fat tailor from 50 - 52cm, bream at 29cm and a small flathead I didn't measure. All caught in the first hour of the runout.

I might head back before the next moon for a try at jewies but not sure i can stand the smell!

Thanks for reading

Joe

20170621_043652.jpg

20170621_055917.jpg

20170621_054917.jpg

12 hours ago, HenryR said:

excellent! Cold and smell aside (does it really smell?) aside, sounds like a pretty okay morning

Can confirm - can get a bit pongy. Snag on some interesting bits and bobs from the bottom, as well. Rags, bags, and once I pulled up food packaging. Still, the fish are there.

8 hours ago, Razzell said:

Can confirm - can get a bit pongy. Snag on some interesting bits and bobs from the bottom, as well. Rags, bags, and once I pulled up food packaging. Still, the fish are there.

Yeah ,?

I wouldnt be game to eat anything from that river!

i fell in once near the boat ramp and ended up sick for a week, ?

Never launched the boat there again.

14 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

yeah it is amazing the places fish live

23 hours ago, HenryR said:

excellent! Cold and smell aside (does it really smell?) aside, sounds like a pretty okay morning

Haha Henry, it did smell a little bit but not too bad. There was a lot of floating rubbish snags though...

5 hours ago, swordfisherman said:

Got my brother his first Jew today and a 2ndIMG_0153.JPGIMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

Nice one swordie's bro! I'll have to try my luck again another weekday I have off.

3 hours ago, ARC H said:

well done mate that tailor looks pretty solid

Cheers dude. They were a pretty good fight on 6lb. 

On 2017-6-21 at 8:28 PM, luderick -angler said:

Good effort. And good tailor for the Cooks . Goes to show even though the substrate is polluted the water clarity has fish moving up there. It's a lot healthier than when I grew up on it in the 1980's

isn't cooks river/ botany bay are all polluted due to recent article, everywhere is a noo fishing or  you die zone lol. especially para river all the way to the habour bridge?? correct me if im wrong. havne't fished there for 3 weeks due to someone telling me this.. so sad to hear

5 hours ago, papafish said:

isn't cooks river/ botany bay are all polluted due to recent article, everywhere is a noo fishing or  you die zone lol. especially para river all the way to the habour bridge?? correct me if im wrong. havne't fished there for 3 weeks due to someone telling me this.. so sad to hear

Just go to the DPI website it will tell you what you need to know! As for the Cooks it's really a catch and release fishery. Amd a bloody good one at that!