SSS - Snapper Session with Scratchie

Berleyguts

I had the opportunity to fish with Scratchie today. I wanted to head to Broughton Island for the first time in my boat and I thought Jeff's local knowledge and expertise would help give me the confidence to take on this trek in the future. I was not wrong!

I met Jeff at the ramp at 6am and I let him take the wheel because (a) he has the local knowledge of the waters and (b) it's good to get feedback from others on how my boat handles etc.

We picked up a couple of slimies at Canbage Tree Island then headed up to Broughton. The seas were kindly and we cruised up at about 19 knots, keeping a lookout for whales.

Jeff put us on a nice drift near some bommies and he started fishing with plastics only. I fished a SP as well as a baited paternoster rig out the back as I like an each way bet. Problem is, I kept missing fish due to watching 2 rods. Jeff was already about 3-0 up I think but when I just focussed on the SP, I managed to get a couple of pan sized reds, rather than the sergeant baker I was getting. My first snapper on lures! ?

Rain was on the way along with a little wind so we headed for Port, arriving back at the ramp around 12:30.  Finished the day with 6 reds - 4 to Jeff, 2 to me. Jeff insisted that I keep all the fish, which was very nice of him! Yummo!

We had a great day out, saw heaps of whales, a turtle and some dolphins. I learnt a lot, Scratchie was great company and I now know some new spots and techniques. Can't wait to do it again!

Will attach pics shortly and, no doubt,  Jeff will add some that I took on his phone.

Thanks Scratchie! You're a legend! ??

Good on you Baz! It was a great morning on the water! Sp's are the way to go on snapper with very little bycatch! Your boat handled really well and I'm glad you stuck with chucking plastics and ended up with a few yourself! It's a  very active way of fishing! A shame the only thing that hit our livey was a garnet! Lol. Until next time mate, tight lines! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

2 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Nice pannies, did you use your minn kota at all with assisting with drifts

We were pretty lucky with most of the drifts, so no but now that you mention it, maybe we should have tried it on one drift we tried that proved difficult! We did use anchor lock when we berleyed up on a bommie though.

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

We were pretty lucky with most of the drifts, so no but now that you mention it, maybe we should have tried it on one drift we tried that proved difficult! We did use anchor lock when we berleyed up on a bommie though.

I used it on spot lock this summer fishing the fads which was perfect. Do you run an on board charger for it or just charge your battery before use 

1 hour ago, tyrone07 said:

I used it on spot lock this summer fishing the fads which was perfect. Do you run an on board charger for it or just charge your battery before use 

I don't have an onboard charger. I've never run the battery flat in a day's fishing. It stays on a trickle charger in the boatport (carport).

17 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Nice pannies, did you use your minn kota at all with assisting with drifts

The structure that we were fishing it wasn't necessary! Definitely a handy tool to have in some occasions though! Especially when your the decky required to pull the anchor! :) 

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Half yer luck. Well done. E/W fishing is seldom better than focused fishing IMO. BN

Yes, I'm learning that now I live a lot closer to the water, I don't have to take 6 to 8 outfits  to cater for all options during the day. Go out with a purpose or target species, with a couple of outfits and put in a concentrated effort!