Quality over Quantity - Winter Bream & Whiting

jdanger

Fished the usual area around Concord with the usual buddy for the usual suspects & ended up having quite a good little session.

Armed with our light spin gear (I was fishing 3lb fluro straight through, Nick had his 6/4 braid/leader) and a few plastics, we found the water to be clearer than we ever remember seeing it. Coupled with a weak tide & little to no wind, we weren't sure how much joy we would have.

Ended up with 7 bream between us (28-36cm), 3 whiting (31, 39 & 41cm respectively), 2 flatties (to 50cm) and a half decent flounder, all caught in less than a couple of feet of clear, cold water. The salmon were nowhere to be seen.

On tackle - the Zman grubz proved the winners again, despite me trying a few other options (gulp crabbies, 3 inch nemesis, hard bodies and a soft vibe). I like the nemesis, but compared to the zmans, it takes a lot more to get the tail swimming. Not ideal when you need to slow things right down.

Anyway, here are the moving pictures:

6 hours ago, ARC H said:

well done

zman grubs would probably be my favourite softplastic

Thanks mate. Hard to go past the grubz. Versatile, tough and effective. What more could ya want?

3 hours ago, nwatson said:

All at low tide?

Nah, most of the fish were caught during the runout. I find things get quiet during the slack water.

No run, no fun as they say.

3 hours ago, letsgocrabbing said:

Who brought the music and who brought the acid?

I think we've just been eating too much S Factor.

Colours - anything naturalish, ie motor oil, bloodworm, watermelon, gudgeon.

Jigheads - 1/16th down to 1/24th.

Retrieve - sometimes hopping, sometimes slow rolling, sometimes a combination of both. Sometimes deadsticking, followed by 3-4 quick hops while rolling will provoke a strike. Best fish recently have come either on the drop or first lift after the lure hits the water.

Edited by jdanger
Head size

Hi Blaxland,

Not fishing braid - I'm using straight through flurocarbon. Nice and stealthy, and I never have to worry about retying leaders.

If you're fishing straight braid I'd definitely whack on a couple of metres of leader material though.

All lures are attached using a lefty's loop knot. Easy, strong and allows the lure to swim with maximum action.

If I'm bait fishing or using dry flies I'll tie a half blood knot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2017 at 11:00 AM, jdanger said:

Fished the usual area around Concord with the usual buddy for the usual suspects & ended up having quite a good little session.

Armed with our light spin gear (I was fishing 3lb fluro straight through, Nick had his 6/4 braid/leader) and a few plastics, we found the water to be clearer than we ever remember seeing it. Coupled with a weak tide & little to no wind, we weren't sure how much joy we would have.

Ended up with 7 bream between us (28-36cm), 3 whiting (31, 39 & 41cm respectively), 2 flatties (to 50cm) and a half decent flounder, all caught in less than a couple of feet of clear, cold water. The salmon were nowhere to be seen.

On tackle - the Zman grubz proved the winners again, despite me trying a few other options (gulp crabbies, 3 inch nemesis, hard bodies and a soft vibe). I like the nemesis, but compared to the zmans, it takes a lot more to get the tail swimming. Not ideal when you need to slow things right down.

Anyway, here are the moving pictures:

Hi just wondering what setups were you using??

thanks

Richard

I've got a daiwa td commander tiger division (discontinued) matched with a pflueger supreme xts2000 reel, running straight through 3lb sunline sniper fluorocarbon.

Nick fishes a 7' 1-3kg nitro paired with a daiwa luvius 2004 size reel, running 6lb j braid to 4lb sunline rock fc leader.

One reason only - more bites.

Had a session over summer where I spent a couple or hours fishing with 8lb leader for zip. Changed to 4lb and had two bream in two casts immediately.

Currently fishing 3lb vs nick's 4lb. Using the same lures, both catch a similar amount of fish but the quality is better on the lighter line. Last two sessions, 3lb has produced bream 31-36cm vs 28-31cm on 4lb.