Fuel - how old is too old?

VViCKiD

14 hours ago, VViCKiD said:

Hey guys, 

just wondering what you think is too old for fuel? 

Also how do I tell if my fuel is too old? Will there be discolouration in my fuel water separator?

Have a read of the pined post on fuel storage above.

I transfer my fuel to my cars/garden gear usually after 3 months and refill the tank.

Saying that I've have gone six months or so with the same fuel over a period of over 20 years or so without any signs of ill effect in various machinery including outboards,motor cars etc and all times it was plain fuel or mixed 2 stroke in the fuel.

I think you'll find it will be quite some time before you see any fuel seperation/staining issues in your seperator if any.

I think the safest bet would be that if your in doubt,throw it out.Or use it in other equipment.

I've also wondered about this, and like Fab says, after a few months, I like to remove the fuel if I haven't been using it

for a while and put it in to something else. Main issue is that I only have petrol mowers, all the cars are diesels, so with 50

litres in the boat, storage and be complicated. I suspect that fuel is probably a lot better at long term storage than we expect

but there is nothing wrong with a little bit of paranoia when it comes to being offshore in your boat.

You can get fuel stabilizers to add as an additive that supposedly work to prevent fuel from gummying up and losing octane, for up to 2 years (so the labels say).  

E10 is particularly vulnerable to seperating and absorbing water from condensation after periods of time. 2 stroke also tends to seperate though my lawn mower never complains about running on ancient fuel.

My boat mechanic said 6 months max on any fuel. 

My biggest issue is what to do with excess fuel?  I don't have a big yard that I can tip it onto. The last time I tipped 20L down the side onto the fence my whole house stunk like petrol and the mrs was not impressed. 

Edited by Smasher

41 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I use fuel stabiliser always and just decided I need to use my boat more! ?

Just keep using the boat all year it's necessary for good preventative maintenance.   It's not that I want to go fishing I have too!   Anything else would just be irresponsible.

Edited by Welster

5 hours ago, Smasher said:

You can get fuel stabilizers to add as an additive that supposedly work to prevent fuel from gummying up and losing octane, for up to 2 years (so the labels say).  

E10 is particularly vulnerable to seperating and absorbing water from condensation after periods of time. 2 stroke also tends to seperate though my lawn mower never complains about running on ancient fuel.

My boat mechanic said 6 months max on any fuel. 

My biggest issue is what to do with excess fuel?  I don't have a big yard that I can tip it onto. The last time I tipped 20L down the side onto the fence my whole house stunk like petrol and the mrs was not impressed. 

And it's illegal.Be careful.

42 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I use fuel stabiliser always and just decided I need to use my boat more! ?

You and I both.

1 hour ago, Welster said:

Just keep using the boat all year it's necessary for good preventative maintenance.   It's not that I want to go fishing I have too!   Anything else would just be irresponsible.

Yes, that's what I tell the missus! lol

But now I'm living in paradise it is a lot easier to use the boat regularly!