Please suggest a boat

anthman

Hi all,

Like many others, I'm now considering a boat to take my fishing to the next level.

I have an idea of what I'd like to do with my fishing but am not sure of what that translates into in order for a safe and comfortable experience.

What I'd like to do is:

* number of people:  maximum of 4 people total, though 95% of the time will just be two people, so safety is the main priority here to support 4 (as opposed to having 4 ppl be able to fish comfortably).

* waters: mainly sydney harbour. not sure about going past the heads, if i do will only be on good weather days (though having a boat that could handle a turn in the weather would be nice).

* fishing style: lures mainly so lots of flicking, trolling and jigging - if that makes a difference. Would also like to have room for a live well for the occasional bait session. 

* weather protection: id like to be able to be shielded from high winds, ocean spray and of course have sun cover (bimini?).

If faced with a decision, id pick safety over comfort.

So what specifications (material, length, hull, engine, brand, expected price 2nd hand/new, other features)  would you knowledgeable people recommend? I'm slightly fearful from all the horror stories and multiple boat purchases to get to the right one...

thank you all in advance!

Guest Guest123456789

Quintrex renegade 460 or stacer outlaw 469 side console. Don't get any smaller or the gunnels are so low that you're much more likely to fall over the side. Not much spray protection (frankly not much of an issue with good spray jacket and spray pants). So the other option is a bowrider which gives you  a windshield but you'll need a bigger boat.

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Quintrex renegade 460 or stacer outlaw 469 side console. Don't get any smaller or the gunnels are so low that you're much more likely to fall over the side. Not much spray protection (frankly not much of an issue with good spray jacket and spray pants). So the other option is a bowrider which gives you  a windshield but you'll need a bigger boat.

I'd 2nd that. I love my 449 Outlaw side console. Gunwhales are plenty high enough for me and the open style allows plenty of room for fishing. From the late 70s/early 80s when I used to watch Mal Florence fish in his Dehavilland  Viking, I always wanted a 15 foot console tinny. Finally got one. Behind the wheel I don't cop as much spray as my crew but I love this boat, particularly for fishing solo. I have a bimini but it sits in the garage now as it gets in the way when fishing. If I wanted more protection, I'd look at a cuddly cabin. Fished out of a Seafarer V Sea years ago - great boat.

My wife wishes I had a boat with a cabin and a toilet. I wouldn't mind that either but it would be harder for me to manage solo and it would also mean she'd probably join me fishing more often and she usually outfishes me so that's an unlikely course of action! ?

Edited by Berleyguts

Thank you all!

Budget is max 14k, though I originally wanted to cap at 10k.

I  checked out the stacer and outlaw and I think a cuddy cabin design seems like the better option for cover (looks like a very comfortable drive as well being enclosed!) - how is the fishing affected though? Seems doable if just two people are fishing at the same time...

Do they make aluminium CCs? 

Also, I drive a subarau xv, so I'm hoping that's enough for towing a boat up to 5m...

If 95% of your usage is going to be fishing using active styles of fishing such as soft plastics/jigging etc then get an open boat. I have seen too many guys buy boats with  seats,biminis,cuddies toilets etc (especially when the wife wants them). The wife only ends up coming out once every 2 years anyway and all that stuff just gets in the way. If you are fishing in the harbour most of the time spray will be minimal and safety will mainly be related to crossing ferry wakes/big boat avoidance etc. For your budget 2nd hand will be the way to go- buy a decent set of wet weather gear (bib and brace and proper jacket ) and you are right to go. If 95 % of your use is going to be cruising around with your wife/family then rethink the priorities.

I used to own a Polycraft 4.55.

It was a great boat. Out in 4m seas it used to just bob above it like a cork.  Never felt unsafe are all.  Easy to clean and repair. Double hulls were great for ride comfort.

mine initially came  with a 40 Etec  but I upgraded it to the 60 which was heaps.

It is a wet boat though.  There needs to be a chine/rib or something affixed to the front to deflect water down. Some of the guys on the Polycraft forum got them welded on.  Makes a huge difference. I had a bowrider. I only sold it as we had a young son and it was impractical at the time. Wish I'd kept it

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Nice looking boat, something like this would be my pick, personally i own a 4.8m centre console, is easy to handle and fish on my own or with 2 people and heaps of deck space for fishing/casting etc.  As mentioned above if your worried about cover get a decent set of wet weather gear and drive to the conditions i rarely get wet in my boat unless im driving like a idiot, just my 2 cents

buy a second hand Cruise Craft Reef Raider will be under budget it is great little cuddy cabin fantastic for inshore or outside and can handle bad weather. Also mine has a 115 Yamaha so I can toe the kids on the biscuit at pretty decent speeds with great wip.

The boat is only 16 foot 6 and a single axle trailer only. can pick them up for anywhere from $8000 to $14000 depending on condition and motor - just check the floor and transom prior to buying - you should be able to jump up and down on the floor and the transom should be rock solid.

Cheers - Blairy

18 hours ago, fRuItCaKe said:

I used to own a Polycraft 4.55.

It was a great boat. Out in 4m seas it used to just bob above it like a cork.  Never felt unsafe are all.  Easy to clean and repair. Double hulls were great for ride comfort.

mine initially came  with a 40 Etec  but I upgraded it to the 60 which was heaps.

It is a wet boat though.  There needs to be a chine/rib or something affixed to the front to deflect water down. Some of the guys on the Polycraft forum got them welded on.  Makes a huge difference. I had a bowrider. I only sold it as we had a young son and it was impractical at the time. Wish I'd kept it

fRuItCaKe  is right, they are a great boat. I also have a 4.55 bowrider. They are a bit wet in a chop, but you don't need a kidney belt when going it. Mine's a bit under powered also, but looking to either sell it or upgrade the outboard.

Cheers

Deek

hello all - thanks for the replies and suggestions.

im weary of fibreglass - i keep reading about rot and soft spots and the weight! 

my car supposedly has 1400kg braked tow capacity (i assume means a trailer that has its own brakes...)

I'm keen to go with an aluminum hull for weight and durability reasons. Have decided to forgo the cuddy cabin in favour of an open design, centre or side console.

in my searches, i can see options in the 4.1-4.5m range - is this length asking for trouble?

I don't have one, but have had my eye on the Quintrex Renegades (420, 440 & 460) - they look tough and the perfect fishing tinny. They come in various configurations (TS, SC, CC) - Personally i'd go a TS with all the electric bells & whistles to maximize space.

10 hours ago, anthman said:

hello all - thanks for the replies and suggestions.

im weary of fibreglass - i keep reading about rot and soft spots and the weight! 

my car supposedly has 1400kg braked tow capacity (i assume means a trailer that has its own brakes...)

I'm keen to go with an aluminum hull for weight and durability reasons. Have decided to forgo the cuddy cabin in favour of an open design, centre or side console.

in my searches, i can see options in the 4.1-4.5m range - is this length asking for trouble?

I had an older 4m Stacer runabout, forward control with windscreen. Switched to the 4.49 Stacer Outlaw side console. The extra 1/2 metre and console setup makes a world of difference! It handles well at sea. Although it only has 2 seats, I fish 3 OK at sea. Could fish 4 inside OK. Licensed for 5. With the storage compartments and casting platform, there is plenty of room to park a backside although my crew sometimes say theirs takes a beating if they're not in a seat when I come off a wave at speed! Next outside trip with 3 up I am going to try moving the helm seat to one of the other positions for my wife or son - I can stand while driving the boat.

Sorry to digress.... try and get a 4.5 metre if you can. But check the total weight of boat, motor and trailer and allow for fuel and gear and be sure your. Ehicle can handle it. My XTrail has a 2000kg braked towing capacity and tows my rig OK but I'm thinking about an upgrade. The old 4m Stacer was a lot lighter - hardly knew I had it on the back. Different story with the newer, bigger rig.

On 09/08/2017 at 0:58 PM, anthman said:

I wouldn't recommend the Stacer Seahawk for your style of fishing (Lures) as they are a small boat and the runabout configuration eats a lot of usable fishing space up.I have the Quintrex version.

You do get a lot better protection than the other two boats due to the enclosed bow and windscreen plus many other pros/cons.

I also wouldn't take that boat or mine outside even in the best conditions for safety reasons.