vsea upgrade

rickmarlin62

heading up near kempsey on the weekend and buying a new to me 2nd hand 90hp yammie..my baby has had a 60hp yammie on it since I bought it..great motor good on fuel just lacking a little in power in a working sea.decided to go 90horse to get a bit better travelling speed for less revs..a 24 knot cruise has me doin 4500 rpm..hopefully this figure will drop so I may still use moderate amounts of fuel..i normally use 30/35 ltrs fuel to run from shoal bay to broughton and return..i hope to use same or a bit more as the theory of more horses less revs less fuel will be put to the test..should have it running in two weeks so I will put results up when I make a trip...rick

Don't forget if you aren't getting the speed/rev ratio you're chasing you can alter it by changing props. When we went from a 90HP 2 Stroke Evinrude (V4) to a  90HP 4Stroke Suzi on a Haines 470SF we lost hole shot and couldn't get up on the plane with too much weight in the boat (previously not a problem). We went down from a 19" to a 17" prop and it fixed the problem. We did lose 1-2knts top end speed and at WOT trimmed out in calm conditions the motor will now red line so we keep an eye on it. I can pull out a 100kg wakeboarder with the 17" too.

If you were good with a 60HP then going to  90HP you can probably run a higher pitched prop for more economical cruising.

I run a 17''pitch prop on the 60hp  get 30knts flatout with two people..19 pitch I drop700 revs no good..90hp im hopin to run 19 pitch..should jump out of hole and give24knts cruise for less than 4000 revs.so I should use same or less fuel..if I use a bit more it wont bother me cause I have the extra oomph when needed..the vseas travel beautiful in a following sea but the 60 is sometimes lacking when trying to climb out of a trough  ,I shouldn't have that prob anymore :D..rick

well I picked up my motor yesterday ..pulled the 60hp off this arvo..put 90hp on transom  resikaflexed round bolt holes and connected all wiring..for reasons unknown my throttle and gear cables are different in length than the  ones that were on the 90hp..i have to swap the cables over in the throttle housing then im ready to test run her ..hopeful to give run on wed arvo..will put fotos of before and after up tomorrow ..rick

Rick,  What size is your boat mate  5m?  How did the 60 perform?? Could you get on plane with a few blokes on board?   Just curious when I'm looking at used boats and gauging if the motor is of sufficient size.

Cheers

Bear

its a 4.8 vsea..the 60 is same motor as 70..both 44.1kw..70 revs 500rpm more..i could fish 3 blokes no prob still cruise on 22knots..the 90 will give me more grunt when travelling in bad following sea..easier to climb out of a trough and maintain speed...imo always try for more power than less..you don't have to work your motor so hard ..I had the 60 cause I bought boat for bargain price..i pikd up 90 for good price so couldn't knock it back..rick

• 4 weeks later...

went for a test run for a few hrs today..took fin off leg and picked up another knot and a half and steers lighter..havnt put 19pitch on yet..getting 28 knts at 3750 rpm...havnt done fuel test yet.but I don't think its goin to use much more than 60hp....I can cruise at 4knts faster using 500rpm less than old motor...pikn up 19 pitch next week  should be perfect 17p revs out to 5000rpm in twenty mtrs...jumps out of hole that fast its scary..rick

The 60 was adequate for two blokes  but sometimes struggled in a working sea..but i fish in some pretty ordinary conditions saying that .not recommended for newbies  on a good sea a vsea with 70hp is fine  mine is well and truly powered up with 90..keep lookin for a vsea you will fall in love if you get one..there is a couple down south of sydney for sale on usual sites..rick