Boat Collars, Junk boats, and Broaching

Sea Ranger

I recently started looking for a boat.  I'm obviously not an expert by all the questions I've asked lately and sure do appreciate the assistance that raiders have provided so far. My wife and I spent several days looking at boats this past weekend.  I was very dismayed to see so many pieces of junk that people were flogging off as in great condition  Especially at dealers.  Soft floors and transoms, puttied holes in hulls, cracked welds,and moldy seats.  Are there any decent fishing boats over 4meters under $15k preferably under $10k in NSW ?? 

sorry for the rant but my goodness what a waste of time it was looking at those boats.

Ok boat collars .   Do these things work with the stability issues inherent in some Tinnys?  From what I'm reading on broaching it seems that all tinnies should be easily broached with a following sea.  Pointy nose and flat wide backs seem to make the issue worse.  These boat collars look interesting but you need to drill holes in your hull to install them.  Not sure I like that idea.

Any experience with them?

Bear

You would need to be in some big following seas to worry about having to install a collar, if you need to install a collar to a boat to be in following seas you are in the wrong boat for the conditions?

There are plenty of old fibreglass boats with good hulls around but under 10k for a boat to take offshore you are making compromises. Good Hull, bad engine, good engine bad hull. 

Look at the facebook buy and sell. Some good boats for good prices come up quite a bit on some of the sales feeds. 

The best boat is of course someone elses boat. 

All boats can broach if they are driven badly and most stories about "a certain make of boat being prone to broaching" are only true to a certain extent. The heavier the boat the less likely and design (pointy bow)can have an effect but essentailly you can broach a boat by letting a following wave catch up with you, this causes the stern to move faster than the bow and hey presto- the boat broaches. Most broaching situations can be eliminated by trimming the bow up in a following sea and picking the right speed for the sea state - which you will only achieve by trial and error- get to know your boat and how it handles. Unless you are planning on boating in "perfect storm" type conditions the most likely cause of a broach is the driver stuffing up. My current boat is a fairly broad shouldered "semi plate tinny" and I can generally "set and forget " in a moderate following sea but I know my boat and have been driving tinnies in open waters since the age of 15- dont be scared off by what you read on the "interwebs".

This is where having a decent sized engine matched to the boat also helps, Having power to get out of situations rather than having to compensate for a underpowered boat.

I searched for nearly 12 months before buying my boat, nearly bought a few but was determined to buy once and not settle as I have been caught before settling and then spending $$$ upgrading or repairing and then having regret that the money I spent was more than the newer or better boats I didn't look at,.

P.s

I will look at boats for you and you can look at properties for me, must be in Sydney, have room for me, 3 kids, wife, 2 cars and a 7.2mtr boat/trailer.

Prefer a pool too.

3 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

This is where having a decent sized engine matched to the boat also helps, Having power to get out of situations rather than having to compensate for a underpowered boat.

I searched for nearly 12 months before buying my boat, nearly bought a few but was determined to buy once and not settle as I have been caught before settling and then spending $$$ upgrading or repairing and then having regret that the money I spent was more than the newer or better boats I didn't look at,.

P.s

I will look at boats for you and you can look at properties for me, must be in Sydney, have room for me, 3 kids, wife, 2 cars and a 7.2mtr boat/trailer.

Prefer a pool too.

You forgot the butler.lol.

On 23 August 2017 at 5:12 PM, Noo2OzFish said:

I recently started looking for a boat.  I'm obviously not an expert by all the questions I've asked lately and sure do appreciate the assistance that raiders have provided so far. My wife and I spent several days looking at boats this past weekend.  I was very dismayed to see so many pieces of junk that people were flogging off as in great condition  Especially at dealers.  Soft floors and transoms, puttied holes in hulls, cracked welds,and moldy seats.  Are there any decent fishing boats over 4meters under $15k preferably under $10k in NSW ?? 

sorry for the rant but my goodness what a waste of time it was looking at those boats.

Ok boat collars .   Do these things work with the stability issues inherent in some Tinnys?  From what I'm reading on broaching it seems that all tinnies should be easily broached with a following sea.  Pointy nose and flat wide backs seem to make the issue worse.  These boat collars look interesting but you need to drill holes in your hull to install them.  Not sure I like that idea.

Any experience with them?

Bear

Excellent,good,fair,reasonable etc condition are all subject to the individuals interpretation.It's all part and parcel of buying a boat,house,car,etc.

Convince yourself that this is part of the fun in the hunt.

That's what I do to stop myself from being the one that has reduced the worlds population by one when I come across those very people.

My tips to any sellers out there is be as honest and upfront with any item/object you may be selling including photos from every angle etc.

If only everyone did that it would minimise someone else's displeasure.

Cheers.

Took me 8 months looking on boatsales everyday the same pictures until hello this one is a new picture,went and saw it and bought it on the spot,,,but I did see a lot of rubbish though, bought a 4.2 allycraft with a tit and trim yammy 40hp...

All the crap Fibreglass boats I saw made me change to a Alloy boat, No soft floors, transom issues.

atlease with a Alloy I had to just look at welds and then sit it in water and look for leaks.

Edited by jeffb5.8

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2017 at 5:57 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

mate there are a few decent priced seafarer vseas on the usual for sale vendors..i might be bias cause I own one..but saying that they are one of the best handling 4.8 boats ever made...have a look you might like...rick

I second this. I have a viking that i picked up quite cheap and regularly do solo trips out to the shelf. Can take u for a spin if u want.