Sunday 10/9

BigRod

i was gonna post this in Fishing Reports but now I see it's already got a place.

Even though Rod had plans to hit the Hacking and I was weighing up the merits of paddling to some quiet corner of the Hawkesbury to sit in the sun and chase luderick, it was  krause who called the shots in the end.

Krause dictated an early start at Port Kembla for all three of us.

It was the slimmest of plans. We'd fetch some livies, troll them around in the first hour or two of light, not expecting much to happen, just in case we got lucky. Then we'd retreat to the back of the bay, where the weekend's big swells couldn't get us, and toss plastics for flathead.

And that's almost exactly what happened. Only pike and mini barracuda wanted to eat yakkas and one by one we all drifted to the back of the bay. There, sadly not much was happening either. Krause had a few bumps but no hook up and Rod likewise, bites but no fish.

I couldn't even get a bump from a fish so, half heatedly, I paddled back to the breakwall. A lucky decision that scored the only fish of the day.

It was a pretty chaotic fight because I had line out to a snagged lure when the livie rod took off. The king managed to circle through the lot (of course). Two crossed lines, one tied to the bottom the other to fish charging off in to the distance, and two unsecured rods in a kayak. I decided to sacrifice a lure and cut the braid on the snagged line figuring that'd be the end of it.

Braid is like spider web at times! More than once during the fight I looked down at my reel to discover the stray braid had somehow reappeared and was again wrapping itself around my reel again. It took lots of nervous line snipping, some luck, and a fair bit of the frantic back paddling that comes with hooking kings from a kayak near structure to finally get a fish in the net.

New kingie pb for me, 80cm, and few nice hours in some almost summery sun.

We finished off the morning with a quick walk out to Hill 60 and watched small mountains of water roll between the point and the island - big seas might limit the fishing options but they are awesome.

big boat.jpg
little boat meets BIG boat

kingy.jpg
fish meets little boat

Edited by HenryR

On 9/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, HenryR said:

i was gonna post this in Fishing Reports but now I see it's already got a place.

Even though Rod had plans to hit the Hacking and I was weighing up the merits of paddling to some quiet corner of the Hawkesbury to sit in the sun and chase luderick, it was  krause who called the shots in the end.

It was the slimmest of plans. We'd fetch some livies, troll them around in the first hour or two of light, not expecting much to happen, just in case we got lucky. Then we'd retreat to the back of the bay, where the weekend's big swells couldn't get us, and toss plastics for flathead.

And that's almost exactly what happened. Only pike and mini barracuda wanted to eat yakkas and one by one we all drifted to the back of the bay. There, sadly not much was happening either. Krause had a few bumps but no hook up and Rod likewise, bites but no fish.

I couldn't even get a bump from a fish so, half heatedly, I paddled back to the breakwall. A lucky decision that scored the only fish of the day.

It was a pretty chaotic fight because I had line out to a snagged lure when the livie rod took off. The king managed to circle through the lot (of course). Two crossed lines, one tied to the bottom the other to fish charging off in to the distance, and two unsecured rods in a kayak. I decided to sacrifice a lure and cut the braid on the snagged line figuring that'd be the end of it.

Braid is like spider web at times! More than once during the fight I looked down at my reel to discover the stray braid had somehow reappeared and was again wrapping itself around my reel again. It took lots of nervous line snipping, some luck, and a fair bit of the frantic back paddling that comes with hooking kings from a kayak near structure to finally get a fish in the net.

We finished off the morning with a quick walk out to Hill 60 and watched small mountains of water roll between the point and the island - big seas might limit the fishing options but they are awesome.

big boat.jpg

kingy.jpg
fish meets little boat

awesome catch mate

On 9/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, HenryR said:

big boat.jpg

kingy.jpg
fish meets little boat

nice king henry

BN, Coastie, Regan, Jacob, thanks muchly for the generous comments :)

Jacob, you bet Pittwater is on the list of places to visit this 'season'! I've been on a few failed attempts at getting fish out of there but they've all been visits at times when other places weren't the go either. Sometimes you gotta rip yourself away from known bets to properly learn new stuff. It does sound like, when Pittwater's good it is excellent. Will let you know when we make it, lol, that far north!!

Actually lots of places to try this summer ... we - krause, myself and a few other associated yakkers - learned a few new tricks in the slow last half of last summer and autumn. Still have a lot to learn but I'm quietly confident (or optimistic) that this season we can consolidate a bit and find at least a few good fish for everybody.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:46 PM, COASTIE 01 said:

central coast

coastie, do you get to fish the Haven much??

8 hours ago, HenryR said:

BN, Coastie, Regan, Jacob, thanks muchly for the generous comments :)

Jacob, you bet Pittwater is on the list of places to visit this 'season'! I've been on a few failed attempts at getting fish out of there but they've all been visits at times when other places weren't the go either. Sometimes you gotta rip yourself away from known bets to properly learn new stuff. It does sound like, when Pittwater's good it is excellent. Will let you know when we make it, lol, that far north!!

Actually lots of places to try this summer ... we - krause, myself and a few other associated yakkers - learned a few new tricks in the slow last half of last summer and autumn. Still have a lot to learn but I'm quietly confident (or optimistic) that this season we can consolidate a bit and find at least a few good fish for everybody.

coastie, do you get to fish the Haven much??

Would definitely be keen on heading out with you guys when you come up to Pittwater, or even around middle/north harbour, let us know when you're around for sure ??????

Flatiefisher, north head is/will be a major stomping ground for us in a few months so we can definitely keep you in the loop on that one.  Potentially also long reef? I don't know hire blue water oriented you are

Coastie, how what where etc hahah,  no there is a curiousity about the pelagics out front of the haven. Wondering if it gets as good as some say it does?

Edited by krause
Spelling, or the lack there of....

4 hours ago, krause said:

Flatiefisher, north head is/will be a major stomping ground for us in a few months so we can definitely keep you in the loop on that one.  Potentially also long reef? I don't know hire blue water oriented you are

Coastie, how what where etc hahah,  no there is a curiousity about the pelagics out front of the haven. Wondering if it gets as good as some say it does?

That'd be great, haven't done much blue water yaking but would be keen to do it with a few others. Would love to be kept in the loop.

Cheers

Jacob

On 9/20/2017 at 0:27 PM, krause said:

hello,

i have never had much luck outside of the haven on my hobie revo but,

fishing inside the haven off the rocksi have caught, big tailor, frigates and bonito. that is about the closest to a pelagic speies i have caught there so far.

but i have seen pics of tuna, salmonand kings caught off there, gotta pick your day i guess

rickmarlin would know more than me :D.......

Regan

Edited by COASTIE 01