Seasickness

Coach

I don't get seasick but I find most people who do want to put there head down and close their eyes which makes the motion seem worse, I find I can get a little queezie when I'm findling aorund in my tackle box or on the floor of the boat but find that once I stand back up and busy myself of look back to land I'm fine, I think it's the focusing on a point thats not moving helps.

Also what is it with people that are seasick that they refuse to drink water :wacko: I'm sure being dehydrated is going to help them feel a whole lot better.

I actually find eating helps.although as I said I've never been seasick just a little queezie at times so maybe if I ever get sick I'll understand.

Thank's fella's

I think the next time I go out, we will wrap him in so many of those accupressure things, he will end up looking like the drivers seat of a taxi!!!!

Trev: this "zofran" stuff looks interesting, do you know if he has to go to a doc to get it prescribed.. or an you get it at a chemist (The lozenges.. I dont think he will let me hit him with a needle)

I also told him about looking for a cure on this site.. and this is the responce I got!!(See below)

His Response regarding testing seasick cures:

We'll see. If they essentially comprise 'Getting out there and getting used to it', you're gonna have to do a bit better than that! I want something that's bullet proof dude (and I'm not talking about kevlar), I think I've already taken at least a couple of years off my life with all of the throwing up I've done, I can't afford too many more. :074::074::074::074:

I think I only have one or to more trips out of him before he pulls the plug..so I am keen to try anything out there that might work!!

Thanks again fella's!!!

:Funny-Post:

Obviously the Coach doesn't get seasick!

I used to get crook when I was young.. but my old man was one of those guys who would keep going and not stop until he was ready to come home...then he would only turn around when we swore not to tell mum how crook we were.

After trying to jump off the boat a few times, the novelty wore off and I stopped.

He used to give us a lot of olives and home pickled peppers.. which are salty like beef jerkey.. so maybe there is something to this!!!!

But I do remember that it was probably the worst I have felt ever... and I feel sorry for those that suffer it as it affect every part of your body!!!

I always remember a trip where we sailed a boat up from Sydney harbour to Pitwater at night in a bumpy sea.. A member of the crew got so crook that she nearly fell overboard several times and she wanted to die..

In the end we had to strap an EPIRB to her and tie her to the boat!!! (She was so keen to "end it" that we needed to use duct tape and rope!!)

• 4 weeks later...

beef jerky, if you have beef jerky as your heading out you'll be fine works for anyone :)

and the winner is.... JEWMAN70!!!!

Just an update on the situation or those not willing to read the thread..

I recently posted a topic about seasickness as my mate gets crook at just the sight of water..

Now admitabily...testing is still young, but we have gone out a few times now and tried the Beef Jerkey trick..

(had tried travelcalm, tablets before and he wouldn't hold steady enough to give him a needle etc etc)

So far.. (touch wood), he has been fine and not gotten crook..

Any other out there want to give it a try and submit your results??

Perhaps we should patient this idea and make a few $'s to fund research on my next question..

This is a very useful thread. I have never actually vomited (even in 3M swells) but I almost always feel queezy in anything over 1m constant swell. My entire family on the otherhand can't handle anything more than a flat bay. Even the wash of a passing boat is enough to get them starting to feel sick. I think I will invest in a packet of sea-sick tablets before banning them from my future fishing trips. I will pop one myself the next time I go out and see if that doesn't help by queezy stomach. To most people that havn't been queezy at sea I say; you haven't been in rough enough waters yet. I have seen the best of them empty their stomaches in rough seas.

I have found myself much more comfortable at sea since giving up the cigarettes. Smoking can bring on nausia at the best of times.

To help prevent seasickness try to keep your face in a breeze, don’t sit in a cabin with no air circulation, keep a focus on the horizon (eg don't look down or read) and stay out of the exhaust fumes.

Have some breakfast, eg toast, and ensure you have gone to the bathroom before you leave, no alcohol the night before, eat a few dry biscuits on board and drink coke.

I have done a lot of game fishing which usually involved 200kg of burley for the day, so if your not right your in big trouble. Nothing worst than traped on a boat 35 miles out to sea, your seasick and theres still 10 hour to go before your back on land.

I don't get seasick thank God but a few of my mates do. I read recently that basically you're either wired to be affected or you're not. Apparently people who get seasick do so because their vestibular organs (in the ears, responsible for balance) are a little faulty and can't reconcile the movement of the boat with the movement of the horizon i.e. balance system just gets confused. Aside for the drugs and acupuncture remedies, apparently staring at a fixed object close to the horizon (e.g. a lighthouse or mountain) helps the brain overcome the confusion by providing a reference point.

Anybody have any further thoughts on this?

Hope this helps, if not your non-seasick mates will probably be thanking you for the berley... just don't heave in the boat!

Cheers

Josh