Seasickness

Coach

I added this to a fishing report, but thought it would be interesting starting a new topic to see what other "Home remedies" might be out there

Whilst on the topic of pukeing up ones hole into the great briney..

Anyone got any seasick cures???

I don't get sick (my old man fed us olives and pickeled peppers until we could spit no more when we were younger!!!), but a mate of mine who is mad keen on fishing ALWAYS gets crook..

Just the sight of water gets him woosey I think!!!

I have tried making him spit all day long,

also have tried

Quells, travel calm, water, Ginger tables, earplugs in the right and left ear (on two seperate trips), not talking about Bile, early nights, late nights, not sleeping at all, red bull's, making them stand all day, scaring him (I think this might be a cure for Hiccup's...but am not 100% sure) etc etc

Only thing that seems to work is to keep them awake and busy.. but if you stop harrassing them for a second..then is "over the side" again

Any other idea's I can try out on him?? As he is 100% committed to the task of fishing, but him "bleeding from his ears" is making me feel a little guilty and ruining my fishing time!!!

You have tried all the common ones I have heard of Coach except for the armbands. Not sure if you can get them here but in NZ you can by elastic arm bands which have bumps on them that supposidly hit preasure points in your wrists. Does anyone know of them in Ausy?

May be worth noting that my old man was a great fisherman until he started to get an inner ear problem later on in life. The docter recokoned this stuffed his balance (and sealegs) and now he hardly fishes because of it.

Can't say I have ever got seasick but I sympathise with those that do. Must be shithouse being out on the briny and not being able to fish.

You have tried all the common ones I have heard of Coach except for the armbands. Not sure if you can get them here but in NZ you can by elastic arm bands which have bumps on them that supposidly hit preasure points in your wrists. Does anyone know of them in Ausy?

May be worth noting that my old man was a great fisherman until he started to get an inner ear problem later on in life. The docter recokoned this stuffed his balance (and sealegs) and now he hardly fishes because of it.

Can't say I have ever got seasick but I sympathise with those that do. Must be shithouse being out on the briny and not being able to fish.

Cheers I have heard of the arm bands, but heard bad reports on them. Apparently they are generally the second thing to hit the sea (right after breakfast has hit it!!!)

I used to get crook when I was younger, but my old man used to stay out all day and feed us with bread, olives and home pickled peppers (its a "Vog" thing)...after a while the novelity of being crook just wore off and now I never get crook..

My poor old mate has tried for around two years now and still hasn't had it wore off.. perhaps I will try the peppers and olive thing from my old man (might be on a million dollar cure here!!!)

Fortunately I never get sick but a girl that works for me came out one day and was VIOLENTLY ill all day. Just like Jocool we stayed out there ALL day and she lay on the floor throwing her little heart up into a bucket. Pretty cruel but that's how life is sometimes.

I told her that she couldn't come out again unless she did something about it. She went and bought those wrist bands with the bumps on them and came out on a reasonably bumpy day and was fine ALL day, no issues at all.

That doesn't conclude an extensive scientific experiment but it seemed to fix her.

I can find out where she bought them if that helps.

Cheers

Pete

I have seen them in Bias Marine. Got no idea if they work... :wacko:

Guest bluecod

From what I've seen the cause of seasickness differs with the individual, be it a confidence/tension issue, balance, too much grog, not enough sleep, food etc etc! What works for some people won't work for others.

The acu-bands can often be sourced through your local chemist. They work on accupunture pressure points -for some people.

An old remedy is to eat arrowroot biscuits and to keep eating them when you might be exposed to the cause of your seasickness and wash them down with coke to expell the gases that build up in an upset stomach, ginger tablets also work well for some people [about one per hour] Both arrowroot and ginger have calming effects on the stomach.

I have never been seasick in my life - I guess I am one of the lucky ones, however I have noticed that if I'm holding back a big blurt then I will start to feel slightly queasy. Dump before you go outside :1yikes:

Paihia Bomb :thumbup:

THE best sea sickness preventative I have ever used. Unfortunately only available from the Paihia chemist in Paihia, Bay of Islands, NZ. And you can only buy one per person per day :(

Two tablets, a real strong sea sickness tablet (pink) that you take 1/2 hour beore going out, then the white one that you take when you get on the boat - speed. The speed stops the groginess of the strong pink tablet, hence you can only buy one at a time.

I get sea sick in boat wash, I cant anchor up outside the heads otherwise I burley my heart out. Best I have used here is travelcalm. Try taking one the night before and one just before you leave to go out. I have been out in relatively bad seas and been fine. For a quick fix if I am getting sore I massage the inside of my wrist - uses the same principle as the sea sickness bands working on the pressure points. I also try and drink ginger ale when I am going outside. Dont know which of the above works, but the combination keeps me pretty good now. I also keep a packet of travel calm on the boat and offer everyone who comes aboard one before we leave.

Adrian

i sympathise with the sea sickness ones. i last went to sea with my old man about 15yrs ago. lasted five minutes before berleying up the ocean. after that i think it was a mental approach. i think if you have a bad experience with sea sickness then it is always in the back of your mind every time you go near the big blue yonder. funny thing is i have surfed for 25yrs and havent been sea sick once. hmmmm! work that out. i think it relates to keeping busy, dont put your head down and find a happy place.... i am still yet to venture out into open waters though. time will tell...

cheers

I have never been crook either. Saw a funny thing one day years ago, 3 mates and i were on a large fishing boat out about 20 kms, we left at 4am and 2 blokes on board were into the beer, prawns and whatever, i kid you not they didnt stop eating and drinking from 4am until we got outside. They were loud and brash. The other 13 of us just looked at them in disbelief. I told them they were game blokes but they just laughed at me. When we stopped and drifted (we were fishing for snapper) all of a sudden they went very quiet and before our eyes they both started to turn green. Then they started puking everywhere and couldn't they spew with full bellies. We all pulled out sambos and beers and it made them even crooker. Sooooooo funny. I have not thought about that day for 30 years. See what old age does to you, it makes you reminisce about times long gone.

I use to sail every weekend competitively. I surf heaps! Small boats and swells don't get to me.....but....

Last two times I went out for a charter for bottom bashing, I was sick as I've ever been. I noticed it was only when the boat stopped (and after 30mins) and I looked down to bait up. As soon as I looked down I could feel myself started to get dizzy followed by a "here we go" feeling. Then your saliva starts getting bubbles in it and it starts - death by bile!!!! I noticed I was o.k if I laid down, but if I even tried to get up??!!

For my bucks day early in Jan I'm going Marlin fishing with site sponsors "game fishing charters". We'll be taking 3 boats out and having a small tournament between boats.

I think if we're trollling, I'm not looking down and I keep busy I should be right. I'll try and use all the suggestions here, cause I'd hate to spoil the day. I think i'll try arm bands, ginger tabs, travel calm and not looking down.

Maybe I should get 10 strippers instead and stay home.

Last two times I went out for a charter for bottom bashing, I was sick as I've ever been. I noticed it was only when the boat stopped (and after 30mins) and I looked down to bait up. As soon as I looked down I could feel myself started to get dizzy followed by a "here we go" feeling. Then your saliva starts getting bubbles in it and it starts - death by bile!!!! I noticed I was o.k if I laid down, but if I even tried to get up??!!

I've seen this happen a fair bit with my mates...Generally they are fine with trolling until we stop for a drift or set an anchor.

Other things I have noticed is if they go into the cabin or concentrate on something (like untangling lines) they tend to get crook.

Often i see people get real tired and try and sleep before getting crook.. So now when I take anyone out.. If they go quiet, or say they are sleepy...then it's time to make them tell a story or sing a song to make then get their mind off it.

Once you loos them, then they are gone..

and their beer rations go soon after :thumbup: (ones mans loss if anothers gain!!!)

If you use seasick tablets, take one the night before, and one in the morning. They do have a drowsy effect, which will help you sleep better - which helps the sickness! I think Gongfisho has it right as well, stick to tour normal routine in the morning, and lay off the booze the night before.

Of the hundreds of times I have been out to sea in 5 metre boats, I have been sick 3 times. All in calm, oily seas, on hot days. It makes me wonder if there are 2 kinds of people, those who have been seasick, and those who are going to be seasick :1prop:

Cheers

Ken

I normally give my mates travelcalm. But there are actually 2 makes of travel calm. One is the natural and it doesn't work I reckon and the other is in the blue and white packet. Trick with travel calm is to get some into your system the night before. Take 2 tablets 30 ins before going to sleep. Sit around on the lounge and do nothing, don't move just watch tv. Then after 30 mins or so get up and go to bed. You will be able to feel a weird sensation through your body. Then just take 2 more tablets 30 mins before you get on the boat. Its worked for me when I first started getting on boats. Don't use them now but like to have a backup just in case.

The other thing I used to do was buy a big packet of minties and eat them. Not one after the other but at regular intervals. that also seemed to help.

The biggest problem is by thinking about being sea sick you are halfway there already. Get him to keep his mind off the sickness. Get him to drive the boat.

Cheers

Lee

There are two distinct stages of seasickness. The first is when you feel so bad that you begin to worry that you are going to die. You know when the second stage has kicked in when you start to worry that you are not going to die. Some of the world's most renowned seamen are said to have suffered from it. Apparently Lord Nelson did it really tough, but I imagine that when the cannon balls started flying over his head, it became the lesser of his worries.

I have never beaten it completely, but I have found that my resistance to it has increased with the frequency of my trips offshore

Hi guys ive actual done a bit of research a couple of months ago on the web and found there is an electronic device you can buy not sure how much but it straps to your wrist like a watch and you place a little bit of this clear gunk on your wrist prior to strapping it, and it sends tiny electrical signals to the brain, see when you get sick your eyes, ears and legs arnt working in a synchronising matter that is coordinating even messages to the brain so what then happens is your brain gets confused and thats when you start to get sick this device mearly calms the signals down and you dont get sick. :thumbup:

To help prevent seasickness try to keep your face in a breeze, don’t sit in a cabin with no air circulation, keep a focus on the horizon (eg don't look down or read) and stay out of the exhaust fumes.

Have some breakfast, eg toast, and ensure you have gone to the bathroom before you leave, no alcohol the night before, eat a few dry biscuits on board and drink coke.

I have done a lot of game fishing which usually involved 200kg of burley for the day, so if your not right your in big trouble. Nothing worst than traped on a boat 35 miles out to sea, your seasick and theres still 10 hour to go before your back on land.

There is an antiemetic we use at work called zofran. This stuff was originally designed for preventing the old technicolour yawn after pts were treated with chemo drugs. It has been used heaps for post op nausea and vomitting and it just simply stops you feeling sick. It is really fast acting and comes in either an injection, useless unless you have a hyperdermic or in little 4mg wafers that disolve under your tongue.

It is an expensive drug but works a treat.

Cheers

Trev

Good Suggestions Lads. There is nothing like seasickness to stuff up a day and have you looking the goose.

I remember as a 12 year old being completely psyched for heading out with dad and one of his mates off durras for the day. As soon as we pull up, i catch a large sweep, which i was quite stoked about, 5 mins later i was starting the burley trail and wishing i was dead.....twenty mins later i was back on the ramp feeling sorry for myself. Of course dad and his mate came in about 7 hours later with bags or mowies, flatties and nannygai. :1fishing1::05:

Anyway, ever since i have been more than aware of the limits of my sea legs. I was nearly caught short the morning after an 8 hour lunch off Fremantle a few years ago. Ever since, i have been using Kwells with very good effect, up to about 3 metre swell in small craft.

I have always found that catching fish is the best cure!

Failing that, feel no shame, hang over the gunwhale and hurl your hole up!!!

Then get back to catching fish!!!

Everyone gets crook sooner or later, I have always found that a decent brekky helps and easy on the :beersmile: the night before.

I munch a chewable Kwell (nice orange flavour!) in the car on the way to the ramp and I can drink beers, tie knots etc in 2+m swells and be fine. If I forget the pill I am spewing before we reach the heads, it makes that much difference.

A tiny pill is a small price to pay for a great day versus the worst day of your life.

I always encourage others on my boat to do the same. If they don't ("Mate I never get crook" - famous last words) then there is no sympathy from me and they can suffer. If they pop a pill and still get crook then I'll always come back inside. Just ask Jimbo.

MarkD once got crook in Jerusalem Bay . . . but for other reasons!!!