60hp bigfoot - opinions? + Salt question.

anthman

Hi guys, I'm looking at a second hand boat (Quintrex 450 estuary angler) and it comes with a 60hp bigfoot. This is the first time I've come across this variant and from my research it seems to be a design made for pontoon boats / house boats. I can see some forum members have this engine on their boats (jewgaffer, maybe you can weigh in here), however on other forums there are furious debates over poor performance when putting this engine on a conventional boat rather than a pontoon or heavily encumbered boat. 

Given the hull type, would you expect issues with planing, handling and speed? (Ive read top end speed is lower compared to an equivalent HP 4 stroke without bigfoot). Should I stay away and look for something else?

Also, I had a peak at the engine and saw some salt buildup or is this corrosion? What part is this and should I be worried?

Intended use would be for fishing, of course, two people seated at the front of the boat when moving and  upto 5 people for bringing friends and family along (with less gear in that case). Forward controls if that helps with describing weight distribution of the people.

Thank you all!

20171001_132422.jpg

8 hours ago, anthman said:

Hi guys, I'm looking at a second hand boat (Quintrex 450 estuary angler) and it comes with a 60hp bigfoot. This is the first time I've come across this variant and from my research it seems to be a design made for pontoon boats / house boats. I can see some forum members have this engine on their boats (jewgaffer, maybe you can weigh in here), however on other forums there are furious debates over poor performance when putting this engine on a conventional boat rather than a pontoon or heavily encumbered boat. 

Given the hull type, would you expect issues with planing, handling and speed? (Ive read top end speed is lower compared to an equivalent HP 4 stroke without bigfoot). Should I stay away and look for something else?

Also, I had a peak at the engine and saw some salt buildup or is this corrosion? What part is this and should I be worried?

Intended use would be for fishing, of course, two people seated at the front of the boat when moving and  upto 5 people for bringing friends and family along (with less gear in that case). Forward controls if that helps with describing weight distribution of the people.

Thank you all!

20171001_132422.jpg

Jewgaffer passed away a few years ago mate.

As far as the corrosion/ salt goes the top water hose is missing a hose clamp and is likely spraying a mist of salt water, get rid of the cable ties and use proper clamps, give it a wash and a spray with inox and you should be good to go.

Edited by Flickn Mad
Typo

The bigfoot models have been replaced with Mercury Command Thrust (CT) motors. They do have a larger and stronger gear case and they are designed for pushing larger heavier boats. They can also run larger diameter props. Nothing wrong with them depending on the boat and its use...