Strudwick Kingy And Jewfish Rod And Reel

Big_On_Fly

Hi Everyone,

I have done a good search of past posts and am fairly confident this question has not been posted yet.

I am looking for a good outfit for Kingies and Jews on plastics and potentially bait fishing. Having not done much fishing for either i don't have nay gear.

Anyway i was in the Fishing and Dive store in Taren point and was very impressed with the Strudwick 4-8 and 10-15 kg rods. They are graphite 7' and available for $140. On top of this i would also need a reel and have had recommended the Shimano Baitrunner in either the 4500 or 6500 sizes available for $199 and $239 respectively.

Has anyone got any experience with any of this gear or indeed any recommendations in terms of which of the two they would be going for. Alternatively anything that would do the job better for the money or as well for less money.

P.S My girlfriend is half tongan and i might be making a trip over there early next year with fishing gear and am a bit unsure of what to expect?!? :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate,Any of the good threadlines in the 3500 to 4000 class will handle 10 > 20 lb braid Reels like shimano, daiwa and at a pinch the shakespeares will do the job . Just depends on what u want to spend :1yikes: Jews are pretty easy to handle ,but kings on the other hand are a much tougher opponent and u may need two outfits /Perhaps a medium size baitcaster and a good grahpite rod rated to 10 kgs or even 15 kgs kings play dirty and will knock you over pretty quick on sub standard gear

Thanks for the posts guys. I'll check out the abu Baitrunner 4500 and also the Shakespeare. I am a bit concerned with how long the shakespeare will last. I am a big fan of buy good quality and buy it once. Not to say that the Shakespeare isn't it is just i am more familiar with the cheaper combos they make and not anything in the larger reels/rods.

What braid is everyone using?? I was recommended Fins spectra although previously have only used bionic braid?? I would think 30lb would be about right with the same in a mono or flurocarbon leader.

Guest hottuna

Hi Everyone,

I have done a good search of past posts and am fairly confident this question has not been posted yet.

I am looking for a good outfit for Kingies and Jews on plastics and potentially bait fishing. Having not done much fishing for either i don't have nay gear.

Anyway i was in the Fishing and Dive store in Taren point and was very impressed with the Strudwick 4-8 and 10-15 kg rods. They are graphite 7' and available for $140. On top of this i would also need a reel and have had recommended the Shimano Baitrunner in either the 4500 or 6500 sizes available for $199 and $239 respectively.

Has anyone got any experience with any of this gear or indeed any recommendations in terms of which of the two they would be going for. Alternatively anything that would do the job better for the money or as well for less money.

P.S My girlfriend is half tongan and i might be making a trip over there early next year with fishing gear and am a bit unsure of what to expect?!? :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

I use the strudwick 4-8kg ,6-10kg an 10-15kg sic sticks for exactly what you want to do. AND THEY DO IT WELL. the 6-10 and 10-15 sic stiks are a bothways rod, spin/overhead

the 4-8 HAS A STRADIC 4000 with 12lb braid on it. Used for poppers sluggos etc.

The 6-10 has a 4600 penn live liner with 30lb braid and used for much the same only bigger cast big jew baits unreal. Pulled a heap of kings with this outfit on squid stripes

The 10-15 has 6500 baitrunner and runs 65lb braid , cast BIG HEAVY jew baits easily and has the ball to match.

I very happpy with them. Hoping to load my new studdy 4kg soft bodz finness this weekend!

Dan

I also have a Struddie in the 4-8 KG range Great feeling rod, yet I haven't blooded it yet. I have mine matched to a Okuma Eclipz 50. I chose this reel because it had good capacity for the 6 KG line I'm running and has SS innards.

The Baitrunner would be a great reel for baiting...but as other have said, a bit hefty. So is the Eclipz as a matter of fact. :wacko:

Thanks for the info guys although i still don't know what i should do :biggrin2: . I will definately have a good look for a deal on the rod and then hopefully that will free up some cash for the reel. I suppose most of my fishing will be sps and lures so maybe i will go without the baitrunner and could always pick one up later.

One the big jew front one of my mates got spooled using a 3000 series Shimano ? and 6.5 kg braid so i think i will go on the heavier side and from what i hear the kingies will still smash me!! Sounds like fun :yahoo::yahoo:

Agree with Andrew, if your flicking plastics for jews and kings the BR will be too heavy, I would look at the 4000 (or even 6000 if you want more grunt) Stradic, Capricorn, Theory etc...

for reference I have a 4000 Theory on a Nitro Magnum Butt, but then most of my jews and rat kings have been caught on my berkley dropshot bream rod/2500 laguna/10lb braid.....

Chris

The Strudwick company has been trying to sell the business for a while now, I think they must have sold if all the stores are trying to offload the stock.

????????????????????????????????????????? :wacko:

not sure where that news came from Swoff but the company hasn't sold or swapped hands in any way. There are new ranges of rods and pricings soon to be released in the STRUDWICK range..... Being sponsored by Strudwick and keeping in direct contact on an almost daily basis i can confidently say that all is well and the new range of spin as well as other rods are awesome and in high demand. I don't want to go into this too far as I have been asked by moderators not to plug any of my sponsors so I will leave i at that.

Mitch

P.S. Not having a go, just clearing the air

The Strudwick company has been trying to sell the business for a while now, I think they must have sold if all the stores are trying to offload the stock.

?????????????????????????????????????????

not sure where that news came from Swoff but the company hasn't sold or swapped hands in any way. There are new ranges of rods and pricings soon to be released in the STRUDWICK range..... Being sponsored by Strudwick and keeping in direct contact on an almost daily basis i can confidently say that all is well and the new range of spin as well as other rods are awesome and in high demand. I don't want to go into this too far as I have been asked by moderators not to plug any of my sponsors so I will leave i at that.

Mitch

P.S. Not having a go, just clearing the air

With Strudwick being only 5min up the road from me i started to use their rods, But after a poor customer service experiance with a faulty rod and the fact their web site hasn't changed in 18 months even after being told 6 months ago it was being updated soon, still nothings changed.

dosn't seem a good way to gain new customers :(

just my opinion.

cheers

Mick

With Strudwick being only 5min up the road from me i started to use their rods, But after a poor customer service experiance with a faulty rod and the fact their web site hasn't changed in 18 months even after being told 6 months ago it was being updated soon, still nothings changed.

dosn't seem a good way to gain new customers :(

just my opinion.

cheers

Mick

Funny. Seems that there a some mixed reviews about them. I did my 1-3kg Sic Stick Pro rod tip when i got snagged and didn't realise the braid had wrapped aound the last eyelet. Went to do a straight pull and snap!! :(:( Anyway was just going to convert the new last eyelet to a proper end eyelet for $6 when i decided to call Studwick. They would retip the end for $25 having sent them the rod. Alternatively i could cut the butt section of the rod out and mail it to them with $77 and they would replace it. Neither option souonded that good to me until i was informed that for $102 they would do both!! :thumbup:

Anyway that service made me think that i will go that way for the next rod as well, plus if i can save a dollar or two getting it with 50% off then it should be really good value.

Edited by Big_On_Fly