Northern Beaches

GoingFishing

Hi All

It has been a long time between reports as I have been super busy and not getting any fishing done :(

Finally had a chance to head out today and what a day it was. Conditions were very good in the morning in fact better than forecasted to be which was especially pleasing for dad as he had a sore back. Saw some humpbacks doing some jumps which was quite the spectacle. What a great country we live in.

We threw the trusty Christmas trees out the back as we passed north head and was rewarded with some early Bonito. Water temp was 18.9 so maybe just getting warm enough for them to arrive. They were patchy but we managed 4 and I kept two for bait fillets. Saw some surface activity so headed over to throw some lures at what I suspected was Salmon or Bonito. Must have tried every lure I had in the box and by that stage narrowed down the options to just one...... Salmon (picky bastards) and feeding on tiny baitfish. Finally managed to hook one, on a xmas tree metal slug and it put up an awesome fight. I always forget how good a fighting fish the aussie salmon are. Once on board it spewed its guts out and of course tiny bait fish confirmed.

After that we headed north and using some seabed charts provided by Saltrix (Thanks) we wanted to try some new spots which looked "fishy". Mostly reef or sand adjacent to reef between Dee Why wide and Long Reef.

Well, we lost a crapload of gear today and actually broke a rod clean in half when I forgot to loosen the drag (after having gotten snagged on some reef) only to then get snagged again on the next cast. The good news is we did manage some good flathead and some pigfish. Ive never eaten pigfish before and read that they were quite good on the table, so two came home for a feed.

All in all a great day out, full of amazing sights, bends in the rod, some new locations marked and some heartache. But most of all just glad to be out on the water.

Thanks for reading

Sam

salmon.jpg

Wbreach.jpg

Wimpact.jpg

MIXED BAG.JPG

MILF.PNG

Baitfish.JPG

Nice report. We came accross a monster bird sized Mutton bird work up off Wollongong. Hundreds of birds all feasting on those tiny fish. Could not get anytakers on Plastics and Jigs. Only thing that worked was 20g Micro Jigs. Trevally, Slimies and Yakkas. No Salmon unfortunately. 

Love the pics.

4 hours ago, recurve said:

Nice report. We came accross a monster bird sized Mutton bird work up off Wollongong. Hundreds of birds all feasting on those tiny fish. Could not get anytakers on Plastics and Jigs. Only thing that worked was 20g Micro Jigs. Trevally, Slimies and Yakkas. No Salmon unfortunately. 

Love the pics.

They can be very picky them sambos. A couple of times the lure would cut across and foul hook one and they go like a steam train. Great sport. Imagine of those things grew to a metre

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

A few nice eating fish there.

People pay good money to see the whales, and sometimes fishos can catch a fish or 2 while watching the whales splashing about.

Thanks Yowie. We are blessed to live in this country

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

piggies are great eating..we used to get lots of them in 90mtrs off Swansea  havnt seen many in shallower water you were fishing..rick

Im looking forward to giving them a try. Is there a preferred way to cook them?

todays piggies caught in 43m wide off dee why