Illawarra trip

notoriousTASH

Evening Raiders,

After being hit hard by some really shitty news last week, my Mrs wanted to cheer me up and take me down the coast a little to the lake illawarra area for a day of fishing. 

After checking out a few spots that weren't suitable (off a breakwall near Windang - too much swell / Lake Illawarra - too much seaweed + snags) we ended up spending most of the day in a spot we found at Bass Point Reserve.

Still a bit of swell and snaggy but there were a few other anglers there so figured it was worth a shot. Anyway, after some time, and no action, I put down my rod for a short break. Mrs kept going, playing around with lures again. Some people nearby us managed to catch quite a big Red Rock Cod, which was another good sign that we might see some action.

After my break, ended up popping another prawn on my hook and cast it out. Few seconds later, bang, finally on to something. Landed a 26cm Tarwhine. After bleeding it and putting it in a slurry, cast out again and hook yet another fish, this time I had no idea what it was, possibly some kind of cod? (I'll be putting it up in the aquarium shortly for ID). Popped another prawn on and cast, and hooked another fish! This one was putting up a great fight, I thought possibly a travelly. To my surprise, twas my first Leather Jacket, measuring in at 28cm. Unsure of how exactly to kill it and a few unsuccessful google searches later, I just placed it in the slurry to have it fall asleep (not sure if it's the most humane way, but I really didn't want to get stung by its spike)

Other than that, landed about 5 blowfish. They seem to be a real pest in the area. All in all nice day, exciting to have all of my catches be fish I've never caught before, particularly the leather jacket. 

Mrs on the other hand wasn't very successful today, only managing to land a single, squishy blowfish. P.s. they make little 'oink' sounds, it's hilarious. 

IMAG0056.jpg

Another good report Tash and well done for being persistent. I like leatherjackets but I see (on here) that a lot of people don't rate them for eating. What do you reckon? Anyway keep plodding on, both of you, and keep the reports coming. Helps keep my interest till the Murray Cod season opens again. bn

11 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

good day by the sounds of it..bass pt is great place dived there many years ago....speared a lot of fish on the southern side  but it can be hard to fish..keep the reports comin tash..I cant hit the water till next week  too much work..rick...ps wheres the hat

It is a tough spot to fish with the rocks but glad I gave it a go, rewarding in the end! Spearfishing looks really interesting, I've watched a few vids on YouTube. And I forgot the hat, would you believe! Lol

24 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Another good report Tash and well done for being persistent. I like leatherjackets but I see (on here) that a lot of people don't rate them for eating. What do you reckon? Anyway keep plodding on, both of you, and keep the reports coming. Helps keep my interest till the Murray Cod season opens again. bn

Mrs loves leather jacket for eating, the moment I pulled it out of the water the first thing she said was 'Leather Jacket, YUM!' I asked her why she likes it, she says it's tasty and doesn't have a lot of bones.

7 hours ago, notoriousTASH said:

Mrs loves leather jacket for eating, the moment I pulled it out of the water the first thing she said was 'Leather Jacket, YUM!' I asked her why she likes it, she says it's tasty and doesn't have a lot of bones.

Also great coz there's no scales and so easy to skin!

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Also great coz there's no scales and so easy to skin!

It was definitely an interesting experience cleaning it at the station! I had no idea where to start, I'd never done it before, so I watched a quick tutorial by Hook and the Cook and it was easy as! She skin is so bizarre though.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:32 PM, notoriousTASH said:

Evening Raiders,

After being hit hard by some really shitty news last week, my Mrs wanted to cheer me up and take me down the coast a little to the lake illawarra area for a day of fishing. 

After checking out a few spots that weren't suitable (off a breakwall near Windang - too much swell / Lake Illawarra - too much seaweed + snags) we ended up spending most of the day in a spot we found at Bass Point Reserve.

Still a bit of swell and snaggy but there were a few other anglers there so figured it was worth a shot. Anyway, after some time, and no action, I put down my rod for a short break. Mrs kept going, playing around with lures again. Some people nearby us managed to catch quite a big Red Rock Cod, which was another good sign that we might see some action.

After my break, ended up popping another prawn on my hook and cast it out. Few seconds later, bang, finally on to something. Landed a 26cm Tarwhine. After bleeding it and putting it in a slurry, cast out again and hook yet another fish, this time I had no idea what it was, possibly some kind of cod? (I'll be putting it up in the aquarium shortly for ID). Popped another prawn on and cast, and hooked another fish! This one was putting up a great fight, I thought possibly a travelly. To my surprise, twas my first Leather Jacket, measuring in at 28cm. Unsure of how exactly to kill it and a few unsuccessful google searches later, I just placed it in the slurry to have it fall asleep (not sure if it's the most humane way, but I really didn't want to get stung by its spike)

Other than that, landed about 5 blowfish. They seem to be a real pest in the area. All in all nice day, exciting to have all of my catches be fish I've never caught before, particularly the leather jacket. 

Mrs on the other hand wasn't very successful today, only managing to land a single, squishy blowfish. P.s. they make little 'oink' sounds, it's hilarious. 

IMAG0056.jpg

we need a like button :P

Edited by Basil D
spelling error