Lilli Pilli

Yowie

Headed up river for a change, out from Lilli Pilli. Took my son along as he had a day off work (he did not like the 3.30am wake up time though)

The water temp is still a bit cool and clear. My son pulled out the tailor, then he dropped a legal sized reddie as he was lifting it out, it was lip hooked only and the lip split once out of the water.

I pulled up the flounder, and a short while later thought I had hooked a nice jew. The rod was bending nicely, it was running different angles, until it swam near the surface. A long tailed brown stingray about 2 and a half foot across, fought nothing like a normal stinger.

A few little reddies, then the handline started moving, so I picked up and it was the flattie. Put up a good fight for a deep water flattie (some times the flatties don't fight as much in the deeper water) It had swallowed the ganged hooks right down, I did not know how it would go upon release, so I kept it (normally release them over 60 cm).

The handline started moving again a short while later, picked up and it felt like another ray. I could not gain any line (12 pound) and it was powering away down below for some time. Could not pull it up but I could feel it's wings flapping away. Then it headed for the surface under the boat at such a rate of knots that I still have the burn marks in my fingers. It jumped out of the water, an eagle ray about 4 foot across the wings, so I busted off. The sun came up and the bites stopped, so headed home.

As I was cleaning up, I saw a few ducks eating floating bread crusts just out from the boatshed (the kids a few house away were feeding them), with a few big hits on the bread from underneath, so my son hooked up a few bread crusts and flicked them out. One was eventually taken, and he pulled out a 30cm bream, but that spooked the others bream in the shallow water.

fish.jpeg.117.png

Nice work yowie! Kids are funny aren’t they. So keen to go fishing but not keen for the wake up call. Haha. Caught a few eagle rays the other day. My son says, big flatty dad. Never had to chase a flatty before. Lol 

cheers scratchie!!! 

51 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work yowie! Kids are funny aren’t they. So keen to go fishing but not keen for the wake up call. Haha. Caught a few eagle rays the other day. My son says, big flatty dad. Never had to chase a flatty before. Lol 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. The eagle rays go hard on a handline.

If you have to chase after a flattie, it would be a record size. :lol:

11 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Interesting session and it would have been amazing to see the ray breach!

Have had a number of the eagle rays do that over the years. They can jump out 4 to 5 feet, as they ramp up a lot of speed when heading to the surface.

Great report Yowie as usual.I love fishing when I get a chance to get out but like your son,nothing and I mean nothing is getting me up at 3:30am to go fishing.Ill stay out until 3:30am or longer no sweat,but I ain't getting up at that time.

Enjoy the feeds.

21 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Great report Yowie as usual.I love fishing when I get a chance to get out but like your son,nothing and I mean nothing is getting me up at 3:30am to go fishing.Ill stay out until 3:30am or longer no sweat,but I ain't getting up at that time.

Enjoy the feeds.

Fab,

'The early bird catches the worm', same applies to fish.:D

I have been rising early to go fishing, since early high school days, though now past the 60 mark, it is not as easy. :wacko:

Dave.

40 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Fab,

'The early bird catches the worm', same applies to fish.:D

I have been rising early to go fishing, since early high school days, though now past the 60 mark, it is not as easy. :wacko:

Dave.

I guess your well and truly used to it by now.I ain't and never will be.Good luck on your next outing mate.