Kingfish in Brisbane Water

Volitan

This is just out of curiosity. Has anyone caught or seen a kingfish in Brisbane Water?

I know it’s not ideal country for them but I wondered whether stragglers get up there?

Same question applies to that channel that runs from the Rip Bridge to Ettalong/Umina - I’m not sure what it’s called but I assume it has some name other then Brisbane Water.

cheers

arron

Ok, 74 views and no one seen one, which doesn’t surprise me.

what about that area from Half Tide Rocks to Box Head ?

one time I was chucking a popper around one of those navigation buoys near half tide rocks and a black shape about the same size as a rat king came up to investigate. It was too quick though so I don’t really know what it was. 

Yep a few times!

I've been on the boat when a friend caught a very small one approx 50cm on blackwall side of the rip.

Twice I've seen packs of hoodlum kings (absolute monsters easily 1m+/10kg ).

Once was near daleys point/killcare in deep water not far from the oyster leases (i was fishing for bream and saw them - followed them around for about an hour).

More recently (less than a year ago) was under Woy Woy Railway bridge - had them swim up and investigate the bow mount electric motor whilst i was fishing.

Its definitely not a common occurrence or something i think you could ever plan on targeting them, but they do show up in there (some very big ones aswell) and surprisingly go quite far up the system (furthest i've seen was at woy woy bay).

Thanks for all the replies. I should clarify that I’m not interested in targeting them in Brisbane Water (I’ll go over to Pittwater for that) I’m just interested in the whole question of where they occur and their biology generally.

thanks

arron

8 hours ago, TK01 said:

I've seen them in there once last year.  A school of rats hanging off a moored boat. I hooked up but got dusted on the mooring and then couldn't get another bite.

Thanks. Where was that ?

Arron

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend I hooked something very big on a prawn at Punt Bridge about 12:30am. It came in like it was swimming toward me but when it tried to go past and realised it was attached to something it turned and ran like crazy. Snapped off my 10kg braid in about 20 seconds. Didn't think my drag was too heavy, maybe just a rub on it. 

In any case, a lot of excitement and still wondering what I might have hooked. 

• 3 years later...

Wow, how things have changed in the past 3 years!  There have been many captures of kings including a lot of big 1m+ ones in the last couple of years.  Pretty much everybody who fishes the waterway regularly has seen or caught them now.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2017 at 9:46 AM, Volitan said:

Ok, 74 views and no one seen one, which doesn’t surprise me.

what about that area from Half Tide Rocks to Box Head ?

one time I was chucking a popper around one of those navigation buoys near half tide rocks and a black shape about the same size as a rat king came up to investigate. It was too quick though so I don’t really know what it was. 

I caught one off box head close to the rocks throwing a small plastic. 

• 2 years later...