Mono vs Fluoro abrasion resistance test

Aardvarking

I just saw this extremely interesting video on youtube, testing the abrasion resistance of mono vs fluoro. I had always heard that the big advantage of fluoro is abrasion resistance, and that's why I spent the little bit extra on fluoro leader, so after seeing this I don't think I'll buy it again. Sorry to stoke the coals of the great leader debate, but I think this is fairly significant.

Guest Guest123456789

An old pro taught me how to test leader quality - and boy it’s simple and effective. Get your mate to hold one end, you hold the other end and stretch it tight. Get a rag and rub it a few times squeezing the rag. Good leader takes a while to break, crap leader break after a few runs of the cloth.

There was a great thread on this  a little while back what impressed me was line diameter now for stealth I use the smaller line diameter e.g. cheap 20LB has .3 and a bit more expensive is 2.something. and thats not fluro. If Im worried about abrasion I would use the cheaper line but most of the abrasion I get is from fishmouths not structure. I have found the hook up rate better with the lesser diameter.

Edited by blaxland

Very interesting, thanks for posting that mate.

definately giving me something to think about.

so now the only thing fluoro has over mono is that its less visible underwater. (Supposedly due to light not travelling up and down line but only through it)

how can we test that out???

2 hours ago, JonD said:

Ive been saying for years it's the biggest con out there.

I think the fluro lines catch more than just the fish mate.I wonder if fish where caught before the new age lines?

I reckon the test method in the original video is a bit dodgy. Both lines would be getting loaded up in torsion (twisting) as he runs the stick back and forth. If one line can take more twist before it starts to lose traction and slips on the sandpaper (where all the heavy abrasion would happen), that line would most likely last longer. Also I think the line that grips the sandpaper longer before slipping would fare better.

Take the twisting out of the equation would make his test more accurate IMHO. 

Not to say the result is wrong however.

Edited by Short
Added info