Fluorocarbon Leader

Reel' em in

1 hour ago, marks1984 said:

that's the reason why I don't want my knots passing past my eyes I don't want it to get damaged

learn to tie the FG knot and forget about being worried about the knot breaking or getting damaged by the runners, i run my FG knots through my rod and onto my reel all the time on my spinning gear and my light outfits, never had a knot fail yet, just check it every now and then and if it does look like its coming apart replace it, once you get the knack of it they really arent that hard to tie

Rory  

• Like 2

I went on a charter with a mate up to qld and he managed to lose his leader on a big one. He wasn't feeling to good as the humidity and the swaying got to him so i tied his rig for him. Double uni knot 100lb braid to 200lb leader and uni knot to the solid ring for jigging. He managed to hook up to a 3m+ shark fought it over an hour and the leader wore through eventually. Double uni fully intact, leader totally destroyed. Never had a double uni fail. I always do 5 turns with fluoro/mono and 8 turns with braid.

I think it's very unusual to have the braid consistantly break like that.  I would be replacing the braid or at the least reversing the braid and putting unused end of braid on top.  FG knot is definitely the way to go.   Ron

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Fg knots all the way! You want to make sure you can learn to tie these quick fast as it can be a killer when your mates are hooking up and your trying to fumble around doing 20 wraps ;) Ive personally never had a Fg break at all , as long as you tie your three half hitches around the tag and mono to lock it all in it should never slip! But i always retie after a session especially if on the Kings!

5 hours ago, marks1984 said:

do you find heavy braid needs more turns or always do 20 turns??

20-25 wraps normally man Ive never had one slip before but I wouldnt go any less, if the knot slips its probably not wrapped tight enough or the tag ends slip from the lock knots/grannys. I moisten and tighten by hand wrapped in a cloth but a fish will do the rest ;)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 2:17 PM, marks1984 said:

I am using a double uni knot

I use the double uni braid to leader as a quick fix when I cant tie an fg on the run, 10 turns on the braid side. never had a problem, in fact its a more durable knot than the fg, However the FG is stronger i.e. test at 110% of the weaker line and has a lower profile but the FG knot can unravel after a lengthy time of constant lure flicking 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blaxland said:

I use the double uni braid to leader as a quick fix when I cant tie an fg on the run, 10 turns on the braid side. never had a problem, in fact its a more durable knot than the fg, However the FG is stronger i.e. test at 110% of the weaker line and has a lower profile but the FG knot can unravel after a lengthy time of constant lure flicking 

I find the opposite. The uni is thick & clunky & will unravel after a lot of casting. It's basically a hangmans noose, & can be used as a loop knot on lures that you can pull up & down. If tied correctly the FG will never unravel. Just my experience anyway.

• Like 1

mebe I do it wrong but the weave is strong on FG  but the lock knots can come undone because they are not under pressure. As you said the double or single uni is a slip knot which tightens every time pressure is applied.  I have started locking FG with Half hitches in opposite directions and finish with a tripple hitch will see how I go. Most of the time I run out of leader before the knot fails.

I have to learn the FG knot. I bought the FG Wizz gadget a while back, too - haven’t used it.

Another knot I should learn is the Bimini Twist for tying doubles. I plait all mine (even 2 kilo) but they do take time and they’re a bitch to do on the water.

in 4kg line and over if in a hurry a spider hitch will work..they uaually rate them at 85/90% knot..so  if your fishing 1/3 drag you should never break one technically speaking....on my gamefish outfits I use plaits but if in a hurry spinning with lures I use the spider hitch...rick

• Like 1

The Bimini  twist isn't too hard to do I'm never sure about what to use to get the leader attached if its not a wind-on

I also just had some braid snap above the double uni knot. I made myself some spoon lures to throw at tailor if i go out this weekend and i was practicing casting in the backyard. I'd done a few casts before it just snapped so I was able to go and retreve it. It was brand new Spider wire Dura Silk 20lb.  

Ryan Moody's Bimini Twist is pretty fast to do. He must had tough feet, I always feel I'm going to cut my toes off!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blaxland said:

mebe I do it wrong but the weave is strong on FG  but the lock knots can come undone because they are not under pressure. As you said the double or single uni is a slip knot which tightens every time pressure is applied.  I have started locking FG with Half hitches in opposite directions and finish with a tripple hitch will see how I go. Most of the time I run out of leader before the knot fails.

Some people have a preference to tag the mono with a lighter then tie the lock knots so theyre snug under the tag,  a good friend in Nz swears by a drop of rubber adhesive on the knot just to smooth it out for casting those big king stickbaits :fisher:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...