Lesson Learnt - Terrigal Fad

tyrone07

Took advantage of the perfect conditions yesterday and decided to give the fad a crack. Cruised out at 20 knots with glass like conditions. On the way out water temp was reading 23.4, with big schools of bait holding in close. My mate had never got a Dollie so insisted on hitting the Fad, once we got out there water had dropped to around 22.4, plenty of small dollies holding on the Terrigal Fad, we managed a couple of just legals before all the other boats arrived and they shut right down. Coming in spoke to a few mates who both scored blacks off those bait balls mentioned, the oldest saying in the world find the bait find the fish. Still a good session regardless 

IMG_4384.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

• Like 4

Good for getting out there, it's funny how they can go quiet for a while but then suddenly turn the on switch instantly again.  Even when they don't seem to want to feed they often can't resist a very light rigged white plastic ( at least for us on light gear).

My daughter was out yesterday chassing them around fish trap buoys with her $20 outfit, best one went 90cm. I spoke with some Sydney tourists and recomended they  headed to another area where I had seen big dollies along trap buoys in 140m of water , this paid off as they got among some very good fish well over the 1m.

Its going to be a cracking year for them as they grow like crazy and they seem to be everywhere.

Just asking, what size is your boat and how far to the fad up there ? Also are there fish traps in the area.

Beautiful looking fish straight out of the water. 

I fished Port Hacking wide Fad today for a similar result. 2 just legals and a few throw backs. Water temp was 22 degrees and not much current. I had livies that were  a bit big for the dollies,  one boat looked to do well fishing with pillies.

I'll try again in a few weeks and hope they have grown a bit.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 12:46 PM, JonD said:

Good for getting out there, it's funny how they can go quiet for a while but then suddenly turn the on switch instantly again.  Even when they don't seem to want to feed they often can't resist a very light rigged white plastic ( at least for us on light gear).

My daughter was out yesterday chassing them around fish trap buoys with her $20 outfit, best one went 90cm. I spoke with some Sydney tourists and recomended they  headed to another area where I had seen big dollies along trap buoys in 140m of water , this paid off as they got among some very good fish well over the 1m.

Its going to be a cracking year for them as they grow like crazy and they seem to be everywhere.

Just asking, what size is your boat and how far to the fad up there ? Also are there fish traps in the area.

G'day mate boats a 5.2 stager centre console, F70 Yammy on the back, perfect for the style of fishing I do I predominately fish lures for Jewys and lizards in the estuaries, chase reds on the inshore reefs, on s good day gets me to the fad and beyond. Yep sure are traps in the 140 meter mark, mate hit them last week and the water was not great, after next week I'll hit them up Cheers

17 hours ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

Beautiful looking fish straight out of the water. 

I fished Port Hacking wide Fad today for a similar result. 2 just legals and a few throw backs. Water temp was 22 degrees and not much current. I had livies that were  a bit big for the dollies,  one boat looked to do well fishing with pillies.

I'll try again in a few weeks and hope they have grown a bit.

Yep exactly what I was planning, may go get some liveys and chase the bait balls on the inshore reefs and wrecks next week after the weather calms down, been a bumper season in blacks up north hopefully fires here

23 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice work on the dollies...must be a few blacks kicking around.heard of a couple out of port stephens...rick

Yeah still a bit hit and miss, all the reports from Gold Coast and that their run has been the best in years, fingers crossed it kicks of here