Sydney Saturday

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Headed out on saturday for some trolling after reading some reports of small stripies feeding on bait schools inshore in 30-40m of water.

Trolled skirts from north head heading north towards longy, then headed north east past the FAD and then further north east to the waverider. No takers... headed further east and realised i was the only idiot out wide and there wasnt any bait on the sounder. At this stage i realised that i should have trusted my gut instinct and stayed in close, heard lots of action in 20-30 fathoms. Hard Lesson learnt and missed opportunity.... water tempt was 23.2 

There was a nasty southerly forecast for early afternoon, so we gave up and did some bottom bashing for an hour landing two nice pannies and my first ever trag in 65m water wide of dee why. Saved face a little. Interestingly no blue spots around

The southerly breeze blew up big time so we headed back in and headed home.

I wonder if the striped marlin will still be hanging around inshore for the coming weekend? 

Thanks for reading

Sam

IMG_2198.JPG

Nice one Sam.. (even a good read the 2nd time round!). Wise move to call it and head back in with the pending weather change even though it goes against the grain of a fisho sometimes.  Better luck next time getting on a fin.

Cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962

Not bad Sam, FYI a mate on his new 745 Game King went out Friday to browns and brought home a 3.1m approx 180kg blue, massive fluke as its their first and the boat only had 4 hrs on it ...so always worth a shot especially on a new boat ! 

21 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Nice one Sam.. (even a good read the 2nd time round!). Wise move to call it and head back in with the pending weather change even though it goes against the grain of a fisho sometimes.  Better luck next time getting on a fin.

Cheers

Zoran

Still kicking myself mate haha !!! Am glad i got in close before that southerly blew up, could have been nasty getting into the harbor with the southerly coming head on at me

18 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

this southerly blowing now should push the better water as well as the bait in closer..good luck next trip..rick

Fingers crossed mate, its been blowing a gale so lets hope so. Cheers 

17 hours ago, Ribs said:

Not bad Sam, FYI a mate on his new 745 Game King went out Friday to browns and brought home a 3.1m approx 180kg blue, massive fluke as its their first and the boat only had 4 hrs on it ...so always worth a shot especially on a new boat ! 

Thanks mate, always best to get out and have a go ! Sounds like ur mate did well on his first go, connecting is the easy part, bringing it in is the hard part ! I dont have the gear yet to take on a 180kg beastie bUt these smaller inshore strippies i think i can have a go

17 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Still kicking myself mate haha !!! Am glad i got in close before that southerly blew up, could have been nasty getting into the harbor with the southerly coming head on at me

Fingers crossed mate, its been blowing a gale so lets hope so. Cheers 

Thanks mate, always best to get out and have a go ! Sounds like ur mate did well on his first go, connecting is the easy part, bringing it in is the hard part ! I dont have the gear yet to take on a 180kg beastie bUt these smaller inshore strippies i think i can have a go

There is the odd larger sized black in close at the moment- mate got a 80-90kg fish on Sat in the same depth we were fishing but off Barranjoey- but give it a crack - you can only get wiped out!!

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

- but give it a crack - you can only get wiped out!!

Agree 100% with PaddyT.....

2015 we caught this....

5a5d6922a567e_MarlinofSydneyonPenn.png.eedfe71a33f77f7727cb89d20fedf969.png

On this ... trolling for kings and dollies !

5a5d693387805_PennGTI330IMG_2008.thumb.JPG.0b22b6861a706056613973617a96961b.JPG

5a5d693d3c1b8_Penn601215RodIMG_2011.thumb.JPG.b25d99e28207576e257e08415513e20b.JPG

5a5d694a1eeb4_Pakula6inIMG_2013.thumb.JPG.53953af2fa86ae2ecd4a94ef4cd82d13.JPG

Cheers

Zoran

PS - I had just upgraded the 330GTI to carbontex the previous weekend -- it got hot on the first few runs (you could smell the hot grease) but it held up !

Edited by zmk1962