Getting serious for big cod

Omally

Hi guys just  putting up a pic of my new cod lures been trying hard to get one off the surface and thinking maybe it might be time to get serious and it might be just coming down to inferior lures and have a proper go... The ballista hunchback and rat being my confidence lures ya just never know hey.. So I'm heading down to my spot tonight at 730 .. and go till I can't see any more and then some report to come if I get lucky 

Cheers 

DSC_0556.JPG

Edited by Omally

My 2 fave surface lures are missing from that lot. A double jointed jitterbug & a Kingfisher. Both wide paddlers that work best with a slow, constant retrieve. I like them in black.

My mates rank the Jackall Pompadour, but I haven't had much of a chance to use them as the Jitterbug keeps getting whacked!

No luck guys at all no hits I think because Im limited to spots I'm going to get a 8 foot poly boat and set it up with my watersnake so I can cruise around and go from spot to spot systematically but probably an early morning thing... One good thing was something came up over the other side of the river it did twice sounded like a bomb went off massive fish but only metres outa reach, I tell ya rick that rats awesome I reckon I'm going to get a big fish off that one day.. Might wait a couple of days and try a different spot keep yas posted 

Edited by Omally

aaaahhhhh that would be a cod...no barra in the Lachlan hahaha...I get em in pitch black...find a spot that's clear of snags and easy for casting....we getem in the middle of open pools once its dark as they come out and roam...stick with it mate it will happen..rick

5 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

aaaahhhhh that would be a cod...no barra in the Lachlan hahaha...I get em in pitch black...find a spot that's clear of snags and easy for casting....we getem in the middle of open pools once its dark as they come out and roam...stick with it mate it will happen..rick

Yep that's what I was going to ask how do you cast in the dark like cast with accuracy makes sense now that they roam around... I'm going to dull down that ballista lure just so it's just got a slight glow it is an after dark one but it's still real bright yep it'll happen I'm using the right gear at the right time thinking of going for a late night trip tonight maybe.... In your night time sessions has moonlight ever been a factor I know flathead love moonlit silhouetted lures... Just need to cover more ground I think keep moving around... Ummm I think I'm addicted ?

Edited by Omally

18 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

My 2 fave surface lures are missing from that lot. A double jointed jitterbug & a Kingfisher. Both wide paddlers that work best with a slow, constant retrieve. I like them in black.

My mates rank the Jackall Pompadour, but I haven't had much of a chance to use them as the Jitterbug keeps getting whacked!

Yep used to catch alot of bass on the old jitter bugs are you talking about the abogarst ones 

Yep, but the bigger, double jointed models. The only thing with them is that the fittings are screwed into them & a big cod will pull them clean out of the lure, so I unscrew all the fittings, araldite them, & screw them back in. That holds them.DSCN5554.thumb.JPG.e472d5086a18e0f143d64a8c5874195c.JPG

1 hour ago, Jewhunter said:

Yep, but the bigger, double jointed models. The only thing with them is that the fittings are screwed into them & a big cod will pull them clean out of the lure, so I unscrew all the fittings, araldite them, & screw them back in. That holds them.DSCN5554.thumb.JPG.e472d5086a18e0f143d64a8c5874195c.JPG

Ahh yep OK might grab one.. As I said had good success with em with the bass... Blacks probably best hey? 

Yep, I always use black. I really like the look of Rick's fave surface lure as well. A good head torch is the way to go, & yes, try to keep it off the water.

Here's another one caught with Stewy on the jitterbug. Notice the bigger fish on surface are at night. Usually just on or afterCIMG0392.thumb.JPG.7bbd2d46fe6d2dcc8fbfe09e4feac056.JPG last light.

1 hour ago, Jewhunter said:

Yep, I always use black. I really like the look of Rick's fave surface lure as well. A good head torch is the way to go, & yes, try to keep it off the water.

Here's another one caught with Stewy on the jitterbug. Notice the bigger fish on surface are at night. Usually just on or afterCIMG0392.thumb.JPG.7bbd2d46fe6d2dcc8fbfe09e4feac056.JPG last light.

Man that's a nice fish so jealous I can't get out missus is as sick as a dog.... I blacked out my ballista only a very small amount of light coming out now... But I reckon the rat is gonna get me something  like that stonker in your picture..... 

Edited by Omally