Port Stephens DPI notice

Rah

G'day Raiders,

Saw this on Facebook. Posted yesterday. 

Notice to Fishers in Port Stephens area

NSW DPI and Huon Aquaculture are undertaking a research project to assess the viability of Kingfish aquaculture in offshore sea pens off  Providence Bay Port Stephens. 

Last week, severe storms damaged one sea pen leading to the escape of Yellowtail Kingfish.

Fishers are advised that a fishing closure was implemented today. Recreational and commercial and fishers may now not take fish within the Marine Aquaculture Research Lease. 

This is a temporary closure (till 7/2/18) to allow farm repairs and recapture of farmed Kingfish. Mariners are requested to avoid the lease area during recovery operations with ongoing diver assisted repairs to mooring infrastructure and sea pens.

www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/aquaculture

20180126_073823.png

20180126_073807.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

after catching a few there the other..we stayed on the eastern or outside edge  right away from the work zone.but there were other boats getting in amongst the pens...there was no need to be in there as the amount of fish outside the area was incredible...im not surprised by them shutting it down as there is millions of dollars worth of their product swimming round waitin to get fed an go back in the pens.....it was fun while it lasted...rick

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

after catching a few there the other..we stayed on the eastern or outside edge  right away from the work zone.but there were other boats getting in amongst the pens...there was no need to be in there as the amount of fish outside the area was incredible...im not surprised by them shutting it down as there is millions of dollars worth of their product swimming round waitin to get fed an go back in the pens.....it was fun while it lasted...rick

So Rick, do you reckon if I troll just outside of the markers, there’s still a chance? Next days off are Wed, Thur, Fri but I think the seas might be too big again Thursday.

6 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

So Rick, do you reckon if I troll just outside of the markers, there’s still a chance? Next days off are Wed, Thur, Fri but I think the seas might be too big again Thursday.

Cancel that. I just checked Willy Weather again... Wednesday southerlies 16-20 knots, swell picking up to 4m on Thursday. Always on my days off! ??

Edited by Berleyguts

baz there are that many there ..I think you will still be in with  a chance when the wind backs down.....im not sure how they are policing  the closure but there were schools outside the eastern markers the other day...so still worth a look..the minority doin the wrong thing has bit us doin the right thing.....rick

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

baz there were guys cleaning kings at table that caught them trolling fingal island..they were normal shape so didn't come from up at pens...the weather always bums out when its days off....rick

Yeah, I always though get they’d be a chance round Boondelbah or Little Island, too. Yeah, still projected for swells over 2m on Friday. Will have to wait and see. Story of my life re bad weather on days off. You can count most of March out - I’ve booked 3 weeks leave!!!

Was out there yesterday morning, there was about 15 - 20 other boats out there and the fisheries got there at 6.30 am, so a good 3 hours earlier than they were turning up through the week from what I heard. My brother was onto a fish as they came over so they said to him as soon as you get that fish in, make sure you let it go. 

Have to try and find schools of them somewhere else, which is the tricky bit.