Blessed with drummer, cursed with luderick

Kracka

G'day raiders. New comer to the forums, long time fisherman.

I've got a little dilemma I was hoping somebody may shed some light on.

Just started getting back into some rock fishing of late and the last 3 trips nothing but rock blackfish. Don't get me wrong, these fellas are a fantastic fight and it's great to keep one or two for the plate. BUT...I set out to catch luderick and the 3 trips down to long reef (the eastern-most point)...nothing but drummer maddness. Initially started using cabbage weed (collected elsewhere of course as it's a no collection sanctuary) at all outings (a little finely torn weed as burley) and was getting slammed on my 8lb float set up time and time again. Upped the tackle to unweighted 15lb mono and kept the #6 hook...drummer...one after the other. Ended up swapping to bread as I gave up on the luderick. Had a ripper of a time though. Caught an average of 6 in an hour per outing, kept one for dinner the first outing (scales tipped at 1.4kg) and released the other pigs to fight another day.

Was fishing the rising tide on the first trip and the falling for the other 2 trips.  The last trip I moved to the lower lying ledges on the north side of long reef. Using my luderick set up...yup...more drummer (it's great to see they're up in numbers btw).

Productivity was slightly better on the rising tide.

Here's the question though...where on Earth did the ludrick go? Starting to wonder if I've lost my touch for the dark arts as I have no problem catching them around Manly. Have tried 2 types of weed and bread. Only drummer.

Or perhaps even move to another location? Thing is I know that it's prime luderick territory. Perhaps I am just cursed and blessed at the same time.

Hoping somebody can shed some light to the luderick.

Thank you in advance.

Hey brother do you want to swap?  I seem to always catch luderick when targeting blackfish haha, and believe it or not i catch more luderick on fresh peeled prawn than on green weed?!

Hey CJay.

Haha sure. Wow never would have thought. I've only ever caught them on live Nippers up at Tuggerah lakes. I will give the prawns a go and see if it makes a difference. Drummer love a good prawn too. I'm surprised you haven't been busted off by them on amongst the luderick. Seems you're cursed (and blessed) too ? where you fish is there a lot of wash (I.e. that milky colouration to the water when the waves break against the ledge). Starting to think the luderick like a little more safety than the drummer. I have had people tell me otherwise. So Seems we are both a little stuck in a rutt.

You should give long reef or the ledges off south Avalon beach a go. Tonnes of big drummer around. I'd probably load up on 20lb line. Managed a few around the 3.5kg mark in the past.

3 hours ago, CJay said:

Hey brother do you want to swap?  I seem to always catch luderick when targeting blackfish haha, and believe it or not i catch more luderick on fresh peeled prawn than on green weed?!

Huh.... I thought blackfish was another name for luderick (at least it used to be - there was also another un-pc name for them) so in other words you are catching your target species. Black drummer are something else.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Rock blackfish... black drummer... same fish... scientific name as once put down on an ANSA claim form I once saw at my club... “piggus reefus”. ?

The original reply was missing "rock" which would have cleared up my confusion. :D Most articles I've read and people I've talked to growing up used the term blackfish or luderick interchangeably. A bit like talking about drummer or pigs (how much would that confuse non-fishing people).

The Latin term would be even more specific but my memory is getting too crowded to want to start learning Latin.

• Like 1

Hey man I normally catch the Luderick further up the river towards the harbor , but ive also caught them in the wash too! 

Sorry for the confusion haha Blackfish aka Drummer ive heard them called both so i just call the Drummer Blackies or Pigs i guess!

I usually pick Luderick up with a tiny piece of  peeled prawn with the smallest sinker i can get away with and its the same with the Pigs ,but the Luderick seem to take more interest maybe due to the bait being on the bottom rather than a little higher in the water column under a float? Thats my two cents anyway :D

4 hours ago, Kracka said:

Hey CJay.

Haha sure. Wow never would have thought. I've only ever caught them on live Nippers up at Tuggerah lakes. I will give the prawns a go and see if it makes a difference. Drummer love a good prawn too. I'm surprised you haven't been busted off by them on amongst the luderick. Seems you're cursed (and blessed) too ? where you fish is there a lot of wash (I.e. that milky colouration to the water when the waves break against the ledge). Starting to think the luderick like a little more safety than the drummer. I have had people tell me otherwise. So Seems we are both a little stuck in a rutt.

You should give long reef or the ledges off south Avalon beach a go. Tonnes of big drummer around. I'd probably load up on 20lb line. Managed a few around the 3.5kg mark in the past.

4 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

I know that reel...when are you giving it to me....lol

First and last time with this one Royce!

Had to get a photo with it.

First pig of the day was fun with the Sportex and pin mate.

Cossie

IMG_1250.JPG

7 hours ago, Kracka said:

Solid haul there Cos. Well done. What reel is that by the way?

I always flip a coin before I fish...heads is an eggbeater, tails is the good ol alvey. Can never decide :wacko:

Hi mate

Centrepin is an old Boaden NIgg-r reel. 4" inch diameter.

i believe only a few old timers may remember them. From the 1950's.

Cheers