Wazza and blackfishing gear

DerekD

@wazatherfisherman and blackfishing

One of Wazza’s passions was (and still is even though he doesn’t get out enough) is blackfishing.

While at his place on Friday to collect @big Neil's new purpose built rod the topic of blackfishing was going to come up as it is something all three of us enjoy (albeit in slightly different ways).

Wazza had taken the time to get out some of his centerpin reel collection. Some were as smooth as silk and once you started them spinning it took a surprising amount of time to stop. Others were a great snapshot into the history of their development. He even had one spooled with lead line.

For those of you passionate about this topic I hope you like this photo.

IMG_6455Edit.thumb.JPG.4ffce6f306cf0e76cf949c311b3f4430.JPG
Then came the surprise. Out came an old ammunition tin with a big part of his collection of custom made blackfish floats. Many of these were designed by a friend of his for specific blackfish locations. You told the builder what the conditions were (e.g., current, depth, predominant wind direction) at your favourite spot then you would be given several to try based on past experience.

IMG_6466Edit.thumb.JPG.1eb514d0d34572b6118f41b8a587d03b.JPG

I’ll let Wazza fill in more information on this topic.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Some beautiful reels and floats there Waza. I recognise a few floats there made by legends of the game.

That Golden Eagle (I think) front row, second from the right looks like its done some work.

Great pics too @DerekDin both this and the other post.

Hi Pete the gap in the reels in the picture was my 'purist II' which we were all spinning and marvelling at it's 'spin-time'! That old black Golden Eagle was my 3rd of 4 and caught countless fish, before making way for the newer Shakespeare version which was much more 'saltwater compatible' 

The back row from left: Lewtham (English) larger sized reel, Bakelite  Alvey, B/Bearing Alvey, Fibreglass Alvey followed by Bakelite again- all sidecast models

Middle row: Wide spooled Golden Eagle (English), Fish Zone (modern), Centrepin Alvey (non sidecast) J.W Young Rapidex, unknown English timber Centrepin, Bakelite Alvey (non sidecast) cheap Asian pin I got new for $5 from a fly fishing shop- no name on it but works OK 

Front Row: Inox, Emperor Cypranius, South Pacific 'Black Float, J.W Young Purist 2 (missing but in the background of Neil's rod post) Golden Eagle, Capstan 34 (with lead line) trout trolling reel

There are a few more somewhere like an Avon, a couple more fibreglass Alvey's and a nylon backed Eagle.

I've posted a better shot of the floats in an old post called 'Show us your Luderick Floats", most of the quality ones made by the legend Alan Skelton 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Pete the gap in the reels in the picture was my 'purist II' which we were all spinning and marvelling at it's 'spin-time'! That old black Golden Eagle was my 3rd of 4 and caught countless fish, before making way for the newer Shakespeare version which was much more 'saltwater compatible' 

The back row from left: Lewtham (English) larger sized reel, Bakelite  Alvey, B/Bearing Alvey, Fibreglass Alvey followed by Bakelite again- all sidecast models

Middle row: Wide spooled Golden Eagle (English), Fish Zone (modern), Centrepin Alvey (non sidecast) J.W Young Rapidex, unknown English timber Centrepin, Bakelite Alvey (non sidecast) cheap Asian pin I got new for $5 from a fly fishing shop- no name on it but works OK 

Front Row: Inox, Emperor Cypranius, South Pacific 'Black Float, J.W Young Purist 2 (missing but in the background of Neil's rod post) Golden Eagle, Capstan 34 (with lead line) trout trolling reel

There are a few more somewhere like an Avon, a couple more fibreglass Alvey's and a nylon backed Eagle.

I've posted a better shot of the floats in an old post called 'Show us your Luderick Floats", most of the quality ones made by the legend Alan Skelton 

Very nice Waza and thanks for the detailed reply.

I have a few Alan Skelton floats myself. I didn't know they were collectable until I saw a post of someone talking them up on FB. 

• Like 1