Kingies

carlin11

:1fishing1: Hi All.I`ve been fishing for over a year both off the rocks(sth Avoca) and in the boat mainly Pittwater but still havent landed the mighty Kingfish,only a few short lived runs.Thinking of trying Pittwater but not 100% sure of where to fish,I`ve been told to try Drifting over the Wreck but I havent a clue where to start looking for it could anone give me a few pointers to get my First King.I`m just dyin to get one after seeing all the pics of fellow fishermen holding 75-80cm whoppers. I`ve read up on how the how to and wot to use but 0,still...PLEASE HELP....

Well, I haven't fished Pittwater, but I have been up to Avoca off the rocks quite a few times. Up there, you just have to be there at the right time. Early morning is best, right after the sunrise. Sometimes you will get lucky, sometimes there won't be a single King. It's a little bit of luck off the rocks. Live yellowtail works well. If there are no baitfish, chances are there are no kings! :( If the yakkas are hard to catch (because of all the rubbish fish), try a whole garfish on gangs. The advantage of this is that you can fish any depth, not just several feet under a bobby cork. Huge casts aren't always necessary. All fish love structure, and the largest structure out there is the rock platform itself!

Sometimes you can do everything right and there won't be anything to show for it. But persistance pays off. I've been waiting all winter to get back up to Avoca and have another crack at the Kingies! Even if you don't catch any, the morning sunrise off the rocks is something to savour!

Hey mate having fished avoca a fair few years its pretty rare to see a king these days but they have made a bit of a comeback. I dnt want to mention any1 but im sick of fishing and seeing people with no respect keeping kingies that are so small you could catch bigger yakkas nearrly. If you want to stand a chance get there early before crowds catch some fresh squid and set it live. probarly ur best chance at avoca. Anymore help on spots etc just tell me im happy to help. Cheers Mate

Guest bluecod

Reef Rebel :1welcomeani: to the site

There are a few wrecks in Pittwater so its difficult to tell to which you refer :wacko:

A popular wreck that often hols good numbers of kings is the wreck of the Valiant, about 2klms north of the seaward tip of Barrenjoey. If your boat or stomach isn't up to it, anchor up off West head and fish live bait. They'll find you sooner or later.

As it warms up, i used to get a few kingies off west head when fishing for livies.

Just send out the first livie in a float and dont let him out to far.. the kingies come up to the boat and in the shallow water its best not to give them too much of a head start.

I rig a two hook rig on my livies with a stinger in the tail.. fish the drag on about half strike as it tneds to set the hooks and not give them too much of a head start

Then take the rest of your livies to the vallient and drop them down on the wreak.. if they are there, then I normally get a hit within the first 5 minutes... I send you over the GPS marks for that wreak when I go home

(Best to PM me to remind me)

If your trolling, then I get a few good hits around barrenjoey, best spot i find is a troll on the headland on the southern side...of your looking down onto the headland, then do a anticlockwise circle from the tip, down the southern face until you get to the big rock/bommie that sticks out a bit and then start your circle.

I troll Rapala Magnums as fast as they will go before they skip( I think they have inox or something like that written on the packet)..

This fishin gets a lot of bonnie's salmon as well.. but its a easy way to fish.

Hope that helps

Edited by Coach

if you want kingys in pittwater(there are heaps in there) go on a charter with peter leblang,from estuary fishing charters,i was like you, fished for ages without hooking up a good king,tried everything from live squid to dead mullet and not even a rat,got one when i wasnt going for them on a peeled prawn while fishing for bream.went out with peter in october after some advise from a mate telling me it was money well spent,since then ive pulled 6 kings all over 65 cm out of pittwater but its boring fishing,you can troll all day and get nothing,but thats fishing.

good luck.

Hey,Very true I have also witnessesd the bagging of 50-55cm Kingies off Avoca last year,some people just dont get it!Kingies are the #1 Prize fish for me but these sizes are big fish to some that are use to catching bream with prawns etc......They obviosly dont believe in licenses either,these are the kind we all hope the fisheries happen to wander on by.

Thanks pal,I`m headin to Pittawter next weekend hope for some luck..Everyone will be sure to hear if i can get the goods....

Hey Haraka, Stokes Point South??

I thought the west side of Pittwater and a few around careel bay and Nth side of scotland were the places. I've never heard of south of Stokes?!?! Is this a bum steer or is between or just outside the moorings running south from Stokes good territory? How far South (puting along at 2knots won't get you far very fast with a downrigger)

Edited by Kingy

Hi

Haraka's local is a very good steer, we have pulled a number of very good fish form this area in the last two weeks and been smoked by a few more. There is lots of structure in this area, use the sounder and look for balls of bait then work the area,

U can go as far sth as newport and still fnd fish though more thana few km's and they will be thin @ this time of the year.

Jon

Hey Haraka, Stokes Point South??

I thought the west side of Pittwater and a few around careel bay and Nth side of scotland were the places. I've never heard of south of Stokes?!?! Is this a bum steer or is between or just outside the moorings running south from Stokes good territory? How far South (puting along at 2knots won't get you far very fast with a downrigger)

Good stuff, thanks Jon for the heads up.

I usually concentrate on the west side or around Careel. I'll be sounding out this area tonight or tommorrow. If you see a 4.5m white centre console with blue splash guards and is sinking, say hi!!

Edited by Kingy

Jon and I will be on the "Riviera " tomorrow - someone has to do it...... sorry for the wake...

I thought it would be good to try outside for Kings - to ease the pressure on Pittie.

I am sure it's going to be a great day -

at least we wont get pissed on like last Sat. :biggrin2:

Tip: Outside has more options for kings and squid than some think. Poppers!!!!

Best of luck to you all.

Any elaboration on your tip for outside Kingies Haraka???

Guest lbgking

Hi Mate,

Have been fishing avoca for kings on livies for the last 5 years and have the routine down pat. The trick is continuos berley. I use a mix of 5 slices of bread and 6 pillies with about half a litre of water that i mash with a potato masher (dont tell the wife :wife: ). I start with a handful at a time to attract the livies then back the amount down as I start catching bait. Keep throwing in a bit at a time to hold the yakkas/slimies at your feet. With luck any pasing king will be drawn to the live bait action and hopefully nail your livie on its way in. No need to cast to terigal so let your bait swim out on its own and hold it about 25-30 feet out.

The problem with this technique is that the blokes standing on either side of you hook up whle you can miss out. :angry:

Edited by Ken A