Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early to near the mouth of Yowie Bay. The trevally only just made the size, hooked in the gills while swimming amongst the yakkas. Was going to use it as bait, but it will be eaten instead.

Apart from the jackets, the other fish were taken on squid and fish strips. A few throwback reddies were just under size, so they are getting bigger over the last few months.

The jackets were taken on squid pieces. Not large ones, and some others were thrown back. The biggest of them was a male, the others all female. One thing I have noticed with the yellow finned jackets is that most of them are female, very few males caught and the males are usually slightly larger in size and have bigger spikes near the tail.fish.jpeg_136.thumb.png.547733b8cdb66974d4757e4626da1819.png

No tailor about, the occasional rat kingie splashing and a lot of smaller fish hitting the surface. I think these were frigates, they appear in the Hacking in February and no takers on the lure as usual.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

NIce work yowie! We had a school of frigates the other day smashing about. Same for me, no takers on lures! Good little feed. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Shared the fish amongst the various family members, 2 feeds for the missus and myself. Reddie fillets tonight, flattie fillets in a couple more nights.

10 minutes ago, naughty1 said:

Thanks for the post Yowie, a great mixed bag there. Got me motivated to have a crack at the Hacking over coming weeks.

Better than last week's catch, only a couple of bream and whiting, not worth a report. A good dump of rain would help.

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

are the males with larger spikes  actually six spined jackets.???.....nice feed yowie  looks like your eating well...rick

They are yellow finned jackets, and have 4 spikes near the tail. I was hit by the tail spikes  of a large male and it drew blood, so have been careful since.

Yes, I like a couple of feeds of fish a week, more than the missus and grown up kids.

17 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Cmon Sam, haven’t you seen one of yowies thousand posts from the hacking? 

Its a full pimped out tinnie isn’t yowie??? :P

Just an older tinnie, still with most of the paint on it. Nothing fancy, I don't want to stand out like dog's b#lls so that everyone can see me. B)

The previous one was almost paintless and 42 years old, held together with waterproof silastic but some of the holes were getting too hard to repair.  :lol:

Edited by Yowie
  • Haha 1

Nice catch!

I was hanging around the sand bar off lilli pilli on Saturday. Plenty of good sized whiting cruising around. I flicked a whiting popper around for a while, right passed their noses, they weren't interested. Others on a nearby boat were using with live worms, not one caught. 

Any tips for pulling them out? I supposed live nippers could be the go. 

15 hours ago, wrxter said:

Great catch/report as always Yowie,

I catch a few of the reddies as well on squid strips but never as many as you!

What do you find is the best way to cook the fillets?

Wrxter

I have a couple of different recipes I found in fish recipe books, on the internet, and sometimes just crumbed and pan fried. I have several fish cook books.

37 minutes ago, Smasher said:

Nice catch!

I was hanging around the sand bar off lilli pilli on Saturday. Plenty of good sized whiting cruising around. I flicked a whiting popper around for a while, right passed their noses, they weren't interested. Others on a nearby boat were using with live worms, not one caught. 

Any tips for pulling them out? I supposed live nippers could be the go. 

If you can see the whiting, they can see you and it will be rather hard to have them bite. Shallow water makes them more cautious, deeper water not so bad.

Have tried blood worms, squirt worms and nippers. In clear water and no wind, very difficult to get them to take a bait, with the water ruffled by wind, sometimes they are less cautious. Early morning or late afternoon better than with the sun sitting up in the sky. Cloudy days can also  make the whiting come on the bite.