What is the best leader knot

Psycho fisho

Hi guys

I am looking for one type of leader knot that l can use on 4 pound line all the way up to 200 pound line so what would you suggest is the number 1 leader knot?

Also l have tried the fg but the mono tag end has rubbed on my braid mainline and caused it to break is the anyway l can avoid that from happening? Does putting half hitches on the mainline to protect the mono from touching the braid ok or does the half hitches on the braid weaken the line?

Thanks

Guest Guest123456789

It’s a very personal thing, but I like the FG knot if running through the guides.

Sounds like you’re not pulling the two lines hard enough before starting the half hitches. There should be no movement in the knot therefore no rubbing and knot fail.

Half hitches lock the knot and prevent it getting caught on the guides. They don’t weaken the line provided you do alternating half hitches.

Once you get below 10lbs though it’s much harder to tie the knot, you’ll need to do 30 plus turns to stop the knot pulling. Or you can switch to a uni to uni knot (10 turns on the braid, 4 on the mono). I like the uni to uni when the knot doesn’t need to run through the guides (which is most of the time) or when using light lines.

G'day Psycho Fisho. I don't believe there's a single knot that is IDEAL for lines between 4 and 200 lb b/s. The FG had been stated (deservedly) to be the best knot for joining braid and leader...but not thin leader. Maybe a double Uni is an answer there.  

The FG has been developed (with the half hitches), to protect the end of the leader so I think that they should be included when finishing the knot. Just my opinions here and I'll be interested to see what others have to contribute. Cheers, bn

Edited by big Neil
incorrect name

10 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if your not a fan of fg like me  stick with Albright...I use it in 6lb braid  up to 80lb braid...at least 10/12 wraps up 4/5 back down over top  always make sure tag leaves loop same way as mainline enters...rick

Plus one! Easy to tie in any conditions and after a while you can manage it very quickly. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Never had an Fg unravel on me ever, sounds like the tag end isn't tightly hitched it shouldnt slip at all period. Fg has the highest breaking strain of any knot out there , but if your running leader so thin and not casting lures all day id go with the Albi or Uni-Uni heaps faster and less room for error :)

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if your not a fan of fg like me  stick with Albright...I use it in 6lb braid  up to 80lb braid...at least 10/12 wraps up 4/5 back down over top  always make sure tag leaves loop same way as mainline enters...rick

Yeah the Albright always breaks before the fg

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Yeah I use an albright for everything 6 pound up to 50pound anyway... Although have had line snap at the knot before while casting big lures.... Gotta get that fg knot down pat my self matey lol

Edited by Omally