Singles for surface lures?

tyrone07

Been having a bit of mixed success with surface lures lately mixing it up chasing whithing from the flats and bream around oyster leases whilst the offshore weather hasn’t been to great, does anybody have the trebles on their surface lures? And what hooks would you recommend? Been finding particularly with the Whiting if they are fired up they will often miss the lure

4 hours ago, FranticD said:

Tyrone on a side note.. what type of retrieve method are you using? Ive tried using surface lures for the whiting but never ever have had a hit

G’day mate, as above I’m always keeping the lure moving and little twitches every now and then, I find if you can mimick how a Jelly prawn reacts to be the most successful 

8 hours ago, FranticD said:

Tyrone on a side note.. what type of retrieve method are you using? Ive tried using surface lures for the whiting but never ever have had a hit

with a popper a quick blooping retrieve and don't pause no matter how much you want to

thanks all for your advice. would calm beaches be the best place for me to start as a beginner? just near the sand in a foot or two of water?

i would think its better if i stand in the water and cast horizontal... so im constantly in 2 feet deep water.

4 hours ago, FranticD said:

thanks all for your advice. would calm beaches be the best place for me to start as a beginner? just near the sand in a foot or two of water?

i would think its better if i stand in the water and cast horizontal... so im constantly in 2 feet deep water.

Which area are you fishing mate? I’ve found the start of the run in tide to be the most productive, look for sand flats with lots of yabby holes, cockle beds etc the ideal place to fish

getting back to your original question, missed strikes is part of all surface lure fishing, havent tried assist hooks but staying with very fine ultra sharp small trebles is the way to go IMHO, most of the fun is in the bite anyway- check your hooks and replace them if they are blunt- chem hooks dont resharpen real well (mostly)

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

getting back to your original question, missed strikes is part of all surface lure fishing, havent tried assist hooks but staying with very fine ultra sharp small trebles is the way to go IMHO, most of the fun is in the bite anyway- check your hooks and replace them if they are blunt- chem hooks dont resharpen real well (mostly)

I find it’s only whiting I am struggling to get to stick, used the exact same lures last night and had a cracker session on EP’s. In saying that I am still landing fish, just seem to either miss or pull the hooks quiet often. Very exciting style of fishing I must admit 

I change to singles whenever I can some of the smaller lures I can't use my splitring pliers on. I try to match the hook in singles and use hooks with inline eyes. Main reason is easy to get the hook out even if I miss a few, when a bites hot I want to get back out ASAP in sydney harbour a bite can go off quickly and for catch and release it is better. I notice Rapala and Halco are both selling lures with singles where they us to have trebles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blaxland said:

I change to singles whenever I can some of the smaller lures I can't use my splitring pliers on. I try to match the hook in singles and use hooks with inline eyes. Main reason is easy to get the hook out even if I miss a few, when a bites hot I want to get back out ASAP in sydney harbour a bite can go off quickly and for catch and release it is better. I notice Rapala and Halco are both selling lures with singles where they us to have trebles.

Yeah I’ve noticed the whiting very quickly cotton on and the bite shuts right down, same as eps usually. No worrys gunna try singles this week and hopefully can report back some improvements 

Usually make a mess of whiting with two sets of trebles.... one in the mouth which is hard to extract without damage and one in the cheek or eye.... good thing is generally only keeper size whiting charge at the surface lures so you are not often damaging fish to be released.

In response to your 'cast horizontal' question... I would try this technique first on estuary sand flats rather than a sloping beach. Might work on an open beach mind you.... worth a shot!

Let us know how you go, whiting are messy feeders on surface lures and id still be inclined to go with the very sticky little trebles from Owner etc, ive found that changing the lure when they wise up to something with a more subtle action eg an Ecogear stickbait thing (forgotten the model no) keeps the bite going, good luck