Dollies at the FAD

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

We have done 3 or 4 trips to the FADs this summer which all resulted in a big fat donut, been trying live baits, pillie cubes, plastics and lures.

We had almost given up but thought id get out and give the Botany FAD for another attempt today. Arrived at Foreshore boat ramp to find the queue backed out all the way to traffic lights on the road !! Took a good 40 minutes to finally launch and be on the way. The boat ramp shananigans made for good entertainment whilst I waited haha. Some people are truly unbelievable.

Conditions today were perfect, the best ive had in a while and I managed to cruise at 25 knots the whole way to the FAD. Arrived to find easily 15 boats all on the FAD, but the good news was the fish were on the chew and everyone was getting a few. Pillies and live yakkas did the damage today bagging 7 in total between 70cm and 80cm.

We eventually motored off in search of some fish traps to escape the congestion. Where have all the fish traps outside botany gone !!! couldn't find one to save my life. Everywhere i went there was a thick greasy diesel looking surface scum. Not sure what it was but if that's coming from the container ships were doing some serious damage to the waters off Sydney.

Gave up looking for fish traps and trolled for a while and picked up a striped tuna which went back as I don't rate their eating quality and didn't want to take it just for the sake of it. In hindsight I should have stayed at the FAD as the fish were on the bite despite the number of boats around.

All in all a great day, my favourite part was the sunrise !!!

Last week I got out to Northern Beaches between Dee Why and Manly and managed a nice little mixed bag with three snapper and some blue spots.

The Blue spots are starting to come into shallower water and all of fish were caught in less than 30m of water. I suspect they will be coming in to breed shortly and you will find them in prolific numbers over the coming weeks in the shallow water.

Thanks for reading

Sam

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3161.PNG

IMG_3162.PNG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Gday Raiders

We have done 3 or 4 trips to the FADs this summer which all resulted in a big fat donut, been trying live baits, pillie cubes, plastics and lures.

We had almost given up but thought id get out and give the Botany FAD for another attempt today. Arrived at Foreshore boat ramp to find the queue backed out all the way to traffic lights on the road !! Took a good 40 minutes to finally launch and be on the way. The boat ramp shananigans made for good entertainment whilst I waited haha. Some people are truly unbelievable.

Conditions today were perfect, the best ive had in a while and I managed to cruise at 25 knots the whole way to the FAD. Arrived to find easily 15 boats all on the FAD, but the good news was the fish were on the chew and everyone was getting a few. Pillies and live yakkas did the damage today bagging 7 in total between 70cm and 80cm.

We eventually motored off in search of some fish traps to escape the congestion. Where have all the fish traps outside botany gone !!! couldn't find one to save my life. Everywhere i went there was a thick greasy diesel looking surface scum. Not sure what it was but if that's coming from the container ships were doing some serious damage to the waters off Sydney.

Gave up looking for fish traps and trolled for a while and picked up a striped tuna which went back as I don't rate their eating quality and didn't want to take it just for the sake of it. In hindsight I should have stayed at the FAD as the fish were on the bite despite the number of boats around.

All in all a great day, my favourite part was the sunrise !!!

Last week I got out to Northern Beaches between Dee Why and Manly and managed a nice little mixed bag with three snapper and some blue spots.

The Blue spots are starting to come into shallower water and all of fish were caught in less than 30m of water. I suspect they will be coming in to breed shortly and you will find them in prolific numbers over the coming weeks in the shallow water.

Thanks for reading

Sam

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3161.PNG

IMG_3162.PNG

Good news thanks for the intel

5 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Everywhere i went there was a thick greasy diesel looking surface scum. Not sure what it was but if that's coming from the container ships were doing some serious damage to the waters off Sydney.

Not sure if it's the same thing as you saw, but what I saw especially as I was coming back towards the shore passed The Peak was seaweed bloom. It floats on the surface and looks like a dusty dirt slick, but it's actually the equivalent of pollen or sperm for marine life.

I've seen the sea look like pea soup in northern NSW & SEQ at this time of year for the same reason...

Oil / diesel slicks will always have a rainbow colour edge. 

Edited by Smasher

Nice work Sam! Would have been a. I’ve ride at 25 knots in your new rig. Nice one on the dollies. I was at Crowdy fad yesterday and we could see them but only hook the little ones. Tried everything too! Nice feed! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Hey mate, I found plenty of traps out there when I last went wide 2-3 weeks ago. But they were a reasonable way out, with most only being a couple of Km's inside the shelf.

Dan

Speaking to a mate who fished them the other week, they are still there and holding good size (90cm+) dollies tho the current was pushing hard south and only the last of the 3 buoys on the tag rope was visible.

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, Yowie said:

A couple of nice feeds there.

Were the blue spots in roe? Their roes are usually fat in Spring.

One of them had roe and I think the rest were males. Last year around this time we were bagging out on the flatties in less than 30m of water so they should be coming in shortly.

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, blaxland said:

I heard from another fisher the same report but after the Botany FAD they went botany wide and found less boats and more fish using live bait (slimey) hooked up every cast. 

Hey mate yepp Botany Wide FAD is where I went, failed to mentioned that in my report. The dollies were around in good numbers

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:03 PM, Smasher said:

Not sure if it's the same thing as you saw, but what I saw especially as I was coming back towards the shore passed The Peak was seaweed bloom. It floats on the surface and looks like a dusty dirt slick, but it's actually the equivalent of pollen or sperm for marine life.

I've seen the sea look like pea soup in northern NSW & SEQ at this time of year for the same reason...

Oil / diesel slicks will always have a rainbow colour edge. 

I did see the seaweed bloom (pea soup) but the slick was very diesel/grease looking. cant recall if it had rainbow color edge will pay better attention next time.

22 hours ago, Ribs said:

Not bad Sam, love the dollies when there on, what temp did u get out there? 

thanks mate, 24.6 degrees at the Botany Wide, nice and blue.

21 hours ago, sam bros said:

Great work mate

Some quality fish there

Did you go botany wide or sydney east?

Thanks mate, went to the wide FAD as the charts showed better water

21 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work Sam! Would have been a. I’ve ride at 25 knots in your new rig. Nice one on the dollies. I was at Crowdy fad yesterday and we could see them but only hook the little ones. Tried everything too! Nice feed! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie it was nice to finally get into some after 4 failed trips. Yep was a comfortable ride and at that speed was only burning 22L/hour.

Better luck next time at the FAD, though, to be honest with the fishing you get up your way I find it hard to feel sorry for you :P haha

20 hours ago, Piss'n'Broke said:

Hey mate, I found plenty of traps out there when I last went wide 2-3 weeks ago. But they were a reasonable way out, with most only being a couple of Km's inside the shelf.

Dan

Speaking to a mate who fished them the other week, they are still there and holding good size (90cm+) dollies tho the current was pushing hard south and only the last of the 3 buoys on the tag rope was visible.

thanks for intel mate, I didn't go that wide looking for them. Last year we found some traps about 20km out and they were full of life, dollies, birds and sealife everywhere. it just felt "fishy"