No Kings... But 2 Black Ducks, A Huge Green Turtle And A Bag Of Flathead

Berleyguts

Decided on a late start this morning due to strong winds forecast early but maybe dropping off later in the morning. Launched at Little Beach and was at Cabbage Tree by about 8. There were a heap of slimies and I quickly filled the tank and was at the kingfish pens by about 8:30. The sea was a bit sloppy and the wind was reasonably fresh but it was fishable. Again, didn’t see much action from kings but I know they are there!

So, decided to drift for flathead again but swimming a live slimey as well. Got a couple of flatties on the first drift, also a couple of black ducks (muttonbirds). The first one let go of the bait at the boat. The 2nd one had to come into the boat to have the hook removed. Turned out he was just hanging onto it so it was easily released but he didn’t seem to want to leave the boat! He kept me company for about a minute before he decided to take off.

Met fellow Fishraider, Peter, which was good. Had a brief chat then he took off to look elsewhere.

Headed back up into the middle of the pens, still hoping for a king. Then I heard a noise and saw a splash and spotted this huge green sea turtle. I’ve seen a few green turtles around the islands but this one was HUGE! It must have been 4 ft across. I motored up for a closer look and began videoing it with my phone. I was quite surprised how it was just lolling (is that a word?) around, like a whale sometimes does - putting on a show for you.

Then I realised that the big green sea turtle was actually a big buoy sitting mostly just below the surface! ? ???

Went back to my drift on the inshore edge of the pens. Released any under 36cm and got my bag limit with the best at 49cm again. One flatty had been hooked before - it was wearing a two hook snell rig,

The weather turned out to be OK... it’s not looking so good for the rest of the week. ? I had a great few hours on the water and got a good feed. I’ve got no complaints!  Except... today and last trip I got spiked so many times by flatties. I swear the blue spots spike me more than duskies do!

DE0D2927-C967-48A9-AA4F-3FDC1754E9BB.jpeg

103B09C3-DDBB-4300-81AD-8FFC5F84B0E3.jpeg

439A6D0D-971C-4A31-92A4-70B3D208095C.jpeg

476B1047-D096-4B8A-9B26-9F3145752A8D.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 3

Just now, rickmarlin62 said:

Onya baz  getin amongst em..them flatties will be getin scared of you soon...they certainly do have sharp spines mate  get a thicker tea towel to grsb them with..rick

Do you reckon the blue spots are spikier than the duskies, though? I can’t recall getting spiked so often by duskies!

Good blue spots there baz, hopefully I can chase some duskys up river Thursday and Friday, and might get a look outside sat depending on the swell. ?

Not the best weekend to come up but we're coming anyway! 

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

Good blue spots there baz, hopefully I can chase some duskys up river Thursday and Friday, and might get a look outside sat depending on the swell. ?

Not the best weekend to come up but we're coming anyway! 

Hope the weather and seas settle down for you. Are you fishing in the trailer boat tournament? I think I’ll be giving it a miss.

Not in the comp, not worth it considering the weather, but muddys, squid, flatys ,whiting and maybe a Jew will be the targets, staying at little beach So shoaly pub will be our watering hole, pop in n say g'day if around mate 

• Like 1