Fishing Charter

Idreamoffishing

Hi All,

Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been with deep sea charters.

I went to one on the weekend. 5 hours morning session, departed from Sydney. It was my first charter experience. I was extremely excited and had high hopes.

Long story short, they took us to 3 separate spots, virtually the entire boat had no decent catches. The best catch was a ~20cm flathead from a lady holding her rod upside down. At the very last spot, we were getting lots of palm size baby flatheads.

Needless to say, I was extremely disapointed. The crews were friendly. But I can't help feeling I've wasted by time and money. I coud have had a much productive morning doing landbased fishing.

I understand fishing is like that. Just wanted to hear what others have experienced. 

Thanks,

A

I got talked into going on a bottom bashing charter out of Jervis Bay once. I spent the whole day throwing up (I am Berleyguts after all)! ? 

I would pick a Sportfishing charter over a meat fishing/bottom bashing charter any day and it pays to do your research. You can spend a fortune on a game fishing charter and it is a great experience but if there’s, say, 6 anglers on the boat, you may not get a fish, even if the boat gets a few marlin. There are some very good estuary Sportfishing charters around. I have found them to be the best option to get a variety of fish. I went on one out of Sydney Harbour some years ago with my wife, my son and my wife’s work colleague. We caught crabs, squid, salmon, bonito, kings, tailor, flathead. The work colleague used his fly rod. Everybody caught fish.

PM me if you want the name of some of these charters.

Thanks Baz. 

I'm not upset becaue I didn't catch a fish. I'd be quite thrilled if I see others land big catches. But no one did. Honestly, the entire morning, I didn't even feel a bite or see the rod bend. The palm sized flathead were caught while reeling in the lines with 20oz sinkers on them  :(

Thanks for your comments. I will PM you for some recommendations.

9 hours ago, Idreamoffishing said:

Thanks Baz. 

I'm not upset becaue I didn't catch a fish. I'd be quite thrilled if I see others land big catches. But no one did. Honestly, the entire morning, I didn't even feel a bite or see the rod bend. The palm sized flathead were caught while reeling in the lines with 20oz sinkers on them  :(

Thanks for your comments. I will PM you for some recommendations.

I have had mixed experiences with charters, I have found some really put the work in on a quiet day to try and get fish on the deck, and others will float around, passing time, until the trip is over.

1 trip  I was on in Hervey Bay was dead as all day, sounding plenty of fish, just not biting. The skipper kept trying different spots, different baits, lures, trolling, casting. He wanted a fish on the deck as much as the rest of us. Come the last hour, I finally hooked and landed a 16kg Golden Trevally.

Even if I hadn't caught it, I appreciated the effort that went into the trip.

I’ve also had mixed experiences with charters. They have to work with the conditions on the day, so it's just like any other fishing in that respect. I haven't been on one where the captain and crew didn't make a big effort, I’ve always been pleased with that. It's just that the fish don't always cooperate. 

Also, I think I would be remiss if I didn't point out that one of our site sponsors is a Charter outfit, so of course it would make sense to give them a call and have a chat next time you're looking to go out. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789

Me personally I would pay money NOT to go on a charter. You’d be better off spending the money at the fish markets. In my view It’s not fishing it’s being spoon fed by a skipper/crew.

Charters can certainly be hit and miss! In my experience, the smaller that the charter caters for the better! Unless of course you are going out with a large family or group. Then it’s more about the time together on the water.

My advice, pick an area that is appropriate for the type of fishing you want to do, hire a boat and ask some questions of the area from the members of this site! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Going out with a good charter operator is a way to fast track your learning, but the key is to get involved, and keep your eyes and ears open. I wouldnt generally imagine you will get much out of a "cattle boat" type of operation but a few of the really good sportsfishing charters out of Sydney are worth it. You can sit back on any boat and learn nothing , or you can ask questions , take mental notes and go from there.