Oven Baked and Delicious

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Have some time off this week and had the opprtunity to get out for a fish on Tuesday with dad. Conditions were great with a bit of an early breeze which backed off nicely mid morning. 

Got out to the Botany Wide FAD and tangled with the Mahi for what may potentially be my last trip to the FADs this year. Water temp at the BB Wide FaD had dropped a whopping 4.2 degrees since the last time i was there with the temp sittingg at 22.9. Passed through a section warmer water of 24.1 between Botany Heads and the closer FAD.

Got some livies out with some pilchard baits and hooked up instantly. At one stage i could see a pack of 8 mahi hunting down the livie 2m away from the boat. What a sight. Hooked some nice fish up to 95cm but only kept one as we had some fish in the freezer from our last trip. Around 9pm the fish shut down completely and it went from almost a fish a cast to water desert in the flick of a switch.

I noticed some mahi free jumping (which is not unusual i guess) but when a few of the mahi we boated were sporting injuries i couldnt help but wonder if the jumping was an attempt to escape a larger predator.

Anyway, got the mahi in the oven with some lemon/tahini and chilli and then once cooked topped with some nut/herb mix..... AMAZEBALLS .... PM me for the recipe it your interested 

Thanks for readinng

Sam

2CBF27BA-8564-4DFF-8D6E-835C50D7F40F.jpeg

0BDC97B2-85A0-4B7C-8A07-1DD56B954A55.jpeg

2D5DAF97-7292-4CDB-8074-3B100863925D.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Good sized fish, worth the effort.

Cheers mate, theyre awesome fun at that size and if your brave 10-15lb line. Lost a few bigger models on the lighter line with pilchard bait and used the heavier gear for live baits

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great fishing! Those mahi-mahi may have been clobbered by billfish.

Thanks mate, certainly seems so, in the photos you can see one has a gash just behind the tail and in the other a nice big chunk missing from the belly

1 hour ago, Welster said:

Very nice

Thanks mate