Out from Sydney Easter Sunday

saltrix

We were suprised after a late start (5.15am from Home)  to find Tunks Park  still had parking spots and no one on the ramp.

Tried the usual troll around Dobryod and Washaway Beach for Zero and then headed to try a troll around North Head.

P4010443.thumb.jpg.fc20f8496cbda430f6abcf4891ef9a2d.jpg

Nothing on the troll around North Head but a bit of confused sea made it uncomfortable.

When we got around  off Manly the seas got pretty flat so we fished off Dee Why wide first at 50m then out to 60m which  produced a few nice fish and lots of Spikeys and Seargent Bakers which went back.  Ther current was a bit fierce and when the wind started to pick up as well we couldnt hold bottom even with the sea anchor so we had an early return.

The snapper only just made the 30cm but the mowie and flathead were a good size ( the esky lid is 38cm wide).

P4010448.thumb.jpg.c51d0a1be49e990ea287068cdd364767.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a nice mixed bag Alan

i fished off dee why today and found the flatties in shallower water around 30m.

I have also been getting some nice snapper and flatties in 40m north east east of long reef drifting between a cluster of what appears to be 6 or 8 wrecks. PM if u want GPS coordinates

Good I will contact you, I have dived many of those wrecks and can tell you the names and locations of each, but have not tried fishing around them  so will appreciate fishing locations.

I can give you very good gps for flathead grounds but they do not fire until August September when spawning begins.  

The grounds are gravel grounds between reefs so you have to watch your gps and sounder but the results are very good and we often bag out very quickly, but they are not as good  during summer.

I find the movies excellent eating.

first make sure you bleed them, then kill them quickly, don’t bother scaling or cleaning them, just fillet and skin them and cut the rib cage and any  red flesh away, and of cause keep them in an ice slurry until you are ready to process them.

I never clean or scale any of my fish, just take the fillet off the flathead and the scales don’t worry you. I think bleeding the fish and keeping them in an ice slurry makes a big difference.

Edited by saltrix
Did not finish reply

23 hours ago, saltrix said:

first make sure you bleed them, then kill them quickly, don’t bother scaling or cleaning them, just fillet and skin them and cut the rib cage and any  red flesh away, and of cause keep them in an ice slurry until you are ready to process them.

Tried all that, still do not like them at all.

The flatties and reddies any day for me.