Easter Sunday funday

Welster

It had been ages since I’d fished with Dad, so after being given the geeen light by the heirachy we were set.

First stop collect liveys this proved more troublesome than expected. After a couple of moves and way to much time we only had about 6 yakkas.   We also had about 10 slimies which weren’t the target but heaps of fun on the little bait jigs.

Out to the fad we go, I dropped the first fish after not setting the hook as it was swimming towards the boat. Dad soon after landed his first dolly 67cm.   We persisted with the wind without much more success before slowly heading in.

Indide the Hacking I picked up a really nice squid.   Last stop, North West Arm to clean the Mahi so I threw in a couple of unweighted pillies.  As I was winding in it got snapped up by what I thought was another slimy.   When I landed it I decided Mack Tuna.   Further research at Home suggests maybe a Frigate.   I guess around 30-35cm.

653FAE07-51CB-4421-B683-A357FF518648.thumb.jpeg.5a8b549b6d591f934123619b4d9b2c3f.jpeg

Can anyone confirm the ID? It hasn’t got any belly spots.  

No ither pics from the day.

Edited by Welster

Frigate, went out of the harbour yesterday and we struggled to get bait too- lots of jackets on the arti lost 3 sets of bait jigs to the little so and so's. Went up to Longie with 6 yakka's in the tank and converted them to 5 kings (and i blew the 6th)All rats and they all went back as I still have a freezer full of wahoo and spottie macks from a trip north 2 weeks ago. It was reallly quiet yesterday , there was only one other boat on Longie.

21 minutes ago, saltrix said:

It is a Frigate Mackeral also known as a Frigate Tuna or Leadinall, reference 595 Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. 

Thanks.    This guy was a further up the Hacking than I’d expect.

16 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Frigate, went out of the harbour yesterday and we struggled to get bait too- lots of jackets on the arti lost 3 sets of bait jigs to the little so and so's. Went up to Longie with 6 yakka's in the tank and converted them to 5 kings (and i blew the 6th)All rats and they all went back as I still have a freezer full of wahoo and spottie macks from a trip north 2 weeks ago. It was reallly quiet yesterday , there was only one other boat on Longie.

Four boats at the Hacking FAD.    A mate had trouble getting yakkas at botany too.   Inside the Hacking when we came back Lilly Pilly sand bar was a parking lot again. 

Nice getting 5 kings from 6 baits :)

8 hours ago, Welster said:

Inside the Hacking when we came back Lilly Pilly sand bar was a parking lot again. 

Why I don't go fishing on a weekend, or especially a long weekend.

A frigate it is. At least a legal dolly for the table.

• Thanks 1

Good time of the year for them and the occasional exotic, Frigates will turn up Cowan Creek on high tides if their is no rain and clear water- seen them in 2 feet of water past the marina at Bobbin Head on a couple of occasions

• Like 1