Flathead on light leader

nutsaboutfishing

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

I see make perfect sense, so you use fluro coz of the invisibilty, but pretest mono for the comp rules.  And you most definitely haven't hijacked by post, but have taught me something AND solved my problem with the breaking line, I'm going to up my leader to 10 lb coz what's 5/100 of a mm between friends and fish!!

Flouro because of the invisibility, yes, but sometimes mono. For me it also serves as a shock leader, which you need if fishing light line. If I’m using mono mainline or if braid broke at the stated breaking strain (so within line class), I would fish the mainline straight to a heavier (shock) leader. My pretest mono is fluorescent, so I like a clear leader - before fluorocarbon existed, we just used clear mono.

It gets even more intense when you’re fishing spiderweb line class (1kg)! I rarely fish below 2kg these days - so fiddly tying knots in 1kg! ?

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Flouro because of the invisibility, yes, but sometimes mono. For me it also serves as a shock leader, which you need if fishing light line. If I’m using mono mainline or if braid broke at the stated breaking strain (so within line class), I would fish the mainline straight to a heavier (shock) leader. My pretest mono is fluorescent, so I like a clear leader - before fluorocarbon existed, we just used clear mono.

It gets even more intense when you’re fishing spiderweb line class (1kg)! I rarely fish below 2kg these days - so fiddly tying knots in 1kg! ?

Is the idea of shock leader to give a bit or stretch when casting and fighting?

23 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Is the idea of shock leader to give a bit or stretch when casting and fighting?

Not, stretch, so much but wear from the rod tip. Also to protect from shock on casting lures/sinkers and on strike when fishing light lines and protection from teeth etc.

Edited by Berleyguts

Can't believe I got in so late on this thread as this is right up my alley. 

Baz has done well and pretty well answered as I would have re catching flatties.  My best 2 flatties were - 1 97cm 5.64kg on 1kg breakaway and 97cm 5.66kg on 1kg mono.  Both were caught with Vanish fluro traces, one with 17lb and the other 10lb.  I believe the soft hands needed to use 1kg lines helps them from panicking and although they make huge runs on such light drags they generally stay calmer and let them be led without so many violent head shakes that wear the leader on what can be very long fights.  
So you can try both a heavier fluro leader and maybe a bit lighter drag.

The ANSA breakaway system was brought in due to the growing popularity of braid lines which aren't made in tested breaking strains and is similar to the tippet classes for flyfishing.
Good luck.  Ron

• Like 1

13 hours ago, campr said:

Can't believe I got in so late on this thread as this is right up my alley. 

Baz has done well and pretty well answered as I would have re catching flatties.  My best 2 flatties were - 1 97cm 5.64kg on 1kg breakaway and 97cm 5.66kg on 1kg mono.  Both were caught with Vanish fluro traces, one with 17lb and the other 10lb.  I believe the soft hands needed to use 1kg lines helps them from panicking and although they make huge runs on such light drags they generally stay calmer and let them be led without so many violent head shakes that wear the leader on what can be very long fights.  
So you can try both a heavier fluro leader and maybe a bit lighter drag.

The ANSA breakaway system was brought in due to the growing popularity of braid lines which aren't made in tested breaking strains and is similar to the tippet classes for flyfishing.
Good luck.  Ron

Hey Ron,

How do you change up things if you're chasing bream??

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply.  I don't tie 1kg to 17lb.  All knots are Uni or Double Uni.

ANSA allows one and a half length of rod comprising of leader and/or trace after the breakaway section.  I tie 1kg to about a rod length of 3kg as leader on which the sinker slides.  I then tie 3kg to swivel on which heavier fluro trace is tied.

End up with 4 or 6lb braid main line - breakaway section - 3kg leader - swivel - fluro trace to hook.  Sounds complex but it works ok and you get used to it.

RICHARD.  If bait fishing for bream. whiting or trevally etc using 1kg for comps I use exact same rig except for trace to hook which I use 8lb Vanish Fluro. 

Ron

• Like 2

3 hours ago, campr said:

Sorry for late reply.  I don't tie 1kg to 17lb.  All knots are Uni or Double Uni.

ANSA allows one and a half length of rod comprising of leader and/or trace after the breakaway section.  I tie 1kg to about a rod length of 3kg as leader on which the sinker slides.  I then tie 3kg to swivel on which heavier fluro trace is tied.

End up with 4 or 6lb braid main line - breakaway section - 3kg leader - swivel - fluro trace to hook.  Sounds complex but it works ok and you get used to it.

RICHARD.  If bait fishing for bream. whiting or trevally etc using 1kg for comps I use exact same rig except for trace to hook which I use 8lb Vanish Fluro. 

Ron

thanks mate