Is my motor to low when planning

jeffb5.8

When my boat is on the trailer the Outboard looks to be at the correct height with the plate level with the bottom of my boat.

But!

When I am at full revs and planning along at 68km/h I decided to see what it looked like and I cannot see either the lower plate or the upper plate. This is with the motor trimmed up so the front is up and the motor is in the sweet spot.

will try and upload the video 

Edited by jeffb5.8

Excuse my ignorance but are you supposed to be able to see lower and upper cav plates when boat is on plane? 

I assumed as long as lower cav plate is level with bottom of the boat its fitted to manufacturers recommendation. 

What are the implications if u cant see? Havent tested my boat but now im curious

My understanding from reading is that when planning the bottom plate should just be under the water and the top one should be just above the water.

so in my case I think the engine should be one hole up, which will put the Cav plate in the right position when planning and trimed correctly.

i also may need to change props as I hit 5,950rpm when WOT in good to glass conditions with 2 Adults and 2 kids. So if raising it up increases the top RPM I will be over reving it

E7A948D8-7D81-4F0F-B218-11AE1D964E1E.jpeg

Edited by jeffb5.8

• 2 weeks later...

It’s low, your antiventilation plate (bottom plate)should be clear of the water when planning, and only getting splashed.  Engines revs will increase as engine is raised as load is reduced.  Do a search on this topic, it’s been covered before. 

For high performance it looks to low, I personally have my outboard on its highest transom setting which has the bottom plate about 40-50mm above the bottom of my hull. In having it that height it is far lighter on steering, more senative to correct trim and most importantly better on fuel and faster.

It all depends on what you hope to achieve from the boat, check this site http://www.boats.com/how-to/the-outboard-expert-boost-speed-with-outboard-engine-height-adjustments/#.Wv9YatF_WhA

IMG_1459.thumb.PNG.991c576cfc873a94a242a99084a289f5.PNG

Edited by JonD