Micro jigs

JonD

Popped out for a late afternoon early evening session. Normally we would use soft plastics but my daughter had just been given a new snapper outfit and micro jigs. Thought I would run a little test by setting up three outfits, one with plastics and one with a baited double hook rigs how we used to fish and of course the new micro jigs setup.

I used two rods while my daughter used just the one micro jig outfit, jigs were 20g, water depth 62m and very little current.  

Let's firstly get the soft plastic out the way as this only managed one fish over the 2 hr session. First fish landed was by my daughter who had great delight in giving me heaps as I was using two rods and three hooks, she also gave me heaps about the orange $5 pants I was wearing ( wanker pants, as she named them ).

Bait was freshly caught squid ( heads ) and due to my daughter pulling the hook on her next two fish I slipped ahead with two snapper. The banter cooled down and experiments in jigging and twitching soon had the micro jig hooked into around 7 species of fish but still no snapper on her board. 

Not sure why but after around 7 or 8 fish on the bait ( all small rubbish apart from the two snapper) the bait rod simply shut down. Even trying some different actions with the bait I simply couldn't coax another bite for the second hour. 

The micro jig seemed to really come into its own in the last hour as the sun started to set, maybe the luminous stripes were the key or just perhaps my daughter had worked out a jig technique which the fish couldn't resist. All up the micro jig splayed my catch in both species and quality fish.

IMG_1478.JPG.467d2c3ec896d7e20f1ea93cbf497f7f.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG.b053202def290f3e607f932f787400fb.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG.07dfee324266a9aaa8beb9060d94721e.JPG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 6

I love fishing with artificials  as much as possible but of course you have to match it to the mood of the fish so bait is my 2nd choice depending on the target species.

Also just on the plastic, like if you are fishing with bait you have to change it up to what the species like so shape & colour matter.

If I cant get a bite on one colour I change it till I find what works then if that doesn't work I will change the style & go through that process again.

Still I am sure you had an enjoyable day, especially watching your daughter pull in a great fish like that.

#proud dad ;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JonD said:

IMG_4196.thumb.JPG.be6ea8d1181ccbb555d8159ae5bda66c.JPG

Do you work on the Road Works holding the Stop/Go sign in those :-)

Where were you fishing for those nice fish? It does not look like the Sydney shoreline in the distance..

Edited by GordoRetired
Update

3 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Do you work on the Road Works holding the Stop/Go sign in those :-)

Where were you fishing for those nice fish? It does not look like the Sydney shoreline in the distance..

Down on the south coast out from Narooma. 

No road works, just thought at $5.oo a pair for hard yaka work pants was good value, my family are certainly get their value out of the pee take of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys are often doing "comparative fishing" experiments and providing heaps of good information for the general audience. Keep it up! As always your pictures are worth more than a thousand words, and no RSI to consider. Cheers, bn (o/s).

• Like 1

On 30/05/2018 at 8:37 PM, JonD said:

Down on the south coast out from Narooma. 

No road works, just thought at $5.oo a pair for hard yaka work pants was good value, my family are certainly get their value out of the pee take of them. 

I had to ask the road works question, a good mate of mine has a very similar pair that he wears when we play golf and I alwayd take the piss out of him.. :-)

• Like 1