Drummer fishing - winter is coming

LuckyFil

Thought I'd have a go at the drummer yesterday (northern beaches) before the southerly front came through and pushed the swell up too much. I haven't fished for them since last winter so wasn't sure if they would be friendly or not . They weren't on fire but I did score 2 nice fish amongst a lot of pickers that I think were sweep and mados.

I was using 25lb flourocarbon leader for the first time as the water was pretty clear and there wasn't much wash. I normally use nylon leader. I found the flourocarbon OK but it didn't have much abrasion resistance and chaffed through without much pressure. Any other Fishraiders had this experience?

The larger of the 2 fish went 47cm and both were well conditioned with a lot of fat in their gut when I cleaned them.

Cheers

Phil

IMG_1666.jpg.9fdbcd74df9439ef069d9c2544181f51.jpgIMG_1671.JPG.f3d6926249b9f77f23f8b73547286802.JPG

• Like 7

On 5/30/2018 at 6:14 PM, savit said:

Good tasty catch. I use 16 lb copolymer nylon leader, so far no issues with up to half-meter pigs.

Thanks for the feedback Savit I might give the copolymer nylon a go 

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, savit said:

Good tasty catch. I use 16 lb copolymer nylon leader, so far no issues with up to half-meter pigs.

Okay so somebody has to ask. "What is copolymer nylon leader?" PLEASE EXPLAIN. Cheers, bn

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Okay so somebody has to ask. "What is copolymer nylon leader?" PLEASE EXPLAIN. Cheers, bn

Hi BN,  My understanding is that copolymer made of  mix of different nylons,  and it was used more in the past , and more in fly fishing.  So may be, fly fishos here may share their personal experience re qualities of this material. I love it because it is soft(easier to make knots than with fluoro and even mono leaders), cheap(vs fluoro), low diameter and sufficient abbraison resistance for me. I added below a few links with further explanation/comparisson of fluoro and copolymer leaders:

http://www.fishingmonthly.net.au/Articles/Display/6960-Born-leaders-Part-2

http://blog.fullingmill.co.uk/2016/04/12/co-polymer-or-fluorocarbon-leaders/

Copoly = two materials "fused" into one to create a line with different properties. Usually stronger, stretcher and more abrasion resistant. Depending on the brand etc

Mono = single material to create a mono line.

It all depends on preference. I prefer Copoly as for some reason the brand I use, the line is supple, soft even and knots area easy to tie. I find my FG knots just grip better with the copoly. The abrasion performance is similar to other monos that I used to use.

11 hours ago, savit said:

Hi BN,  My understanding is that copolymer made of  mix of different nylons,  and it was used more in the past , and more in fly fishing.  So may be, fly fishos here may share their personal experience re qualities of this material. I love it because it is soft(easier to make knots than with fluoro and even mono leaders), cheap(vs fluoro), low diameter and sufficient abbraison resistance for me. I added below a few links with further explanation/comparisson of fluoro and copolymer leaders:

http://www.fishingmonthly.net.au/Articles/Display/6960-Born-leaders-Part-2

http://blog.fullingmill.co.uk/2016/04/12/co-polymer-or-fluorocarbon-leaders/

Thanks for the explanations guys. I may have (inadvertently) been using it already. One option from the articles is light / no drag. Not an option for me with Murray Cod, so it looks like I'll have to run the risk of eventual breakages, unless I change leaders frequently. I continue to learn things every day. Cheers, bn

Mate, nice haul. Great catch! 2 big pigs like those are great for a feed and god do they pull like a train! They're really slow growing and so it's always best to just fish for fun/catch n release after you get a feeds-worth.

My 2c as I do a lot of drummer fishing off the Northern beaches. I've found they bite like mad after a big southerly pushes through OR if you can find yourself a sheltered area during a southerly can be even better. Milky washy water is the best. If wash is limited they will definitely be there still however, you will have to either 1) cast right up against the ledge, 2) look for an eddy, or 3) fish low light periods.

Burleying, as with most styles of bait fishing works wonders. Burley with moist sand mixed with some stale bread or whatever bait you're using (cungie, prawn, bread, weed etc). This  will switch them on even if they're not really on the chew.

I'd Scrap the FC leader - no need for it and it's pricey stuff too - better to save it for luderick or bream rigs. Drummer aren't fussy 99% of the time. I've even used, as a last resort at the time, 30lb bright yellow mono straight to a hook and they didn't seem to mind at all. I guess that's why they're called pigs! Oh, that and bring a nose peg when you gut them.

I like to fish 20lb mono right to a size 1/0 hook unweighted (a tiny ball sinker if the swell/current is up). Unweighted will see a lot less by catch such as wirrah and cale. I'd up to 30lb mono if using cungie, whole prawns or crabs as you will get smoked by the odd groper or 4kg+ pig that jumps onto your bait. 20lb is more than enough for a 2-4kg drummer. A nice long whippy tip  and sturdy butt rod is versatile for other fishing styles, will help play the fish a bit better and take pressure off your line.

Even though you can catch heaps year round, they fire up a bit more during winter.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tight lines - K.

5 hours ago, Kracka said:

Mate, nice haul. Great catch! 2 big pigs like those are great for a feed and god do they pull like a train! They're really slow growing and so it's always best to just fish for fun/catch n release after you get a feeds-worth.

My 2c as I do a lot of drummer fishing off the Northern beaches. I've found they bite like mad after a big southerly pushes through OR if you can find yourself a sheltered area during a southerly can be even better. Milky washy water is the best. If wash is limited they will definitely be there still however, you will have to either 1) cast right up against the ledge, 2) look for an eddy, or 3) fish low light periods.

Burleying, as with most styles of bait fishing works wonders. Burley with moist sand mixed with some stale bread or whatever bait you're using (cungie, prawn, bread, weed etc). This  will switch them on even if they're not really on the chew.

I'd Scrap the FC leader - no need for it and it's pricey stuff too - better to save it for luderick or bream rigs. Drummer aren't fussy 99% of the time. I've even used, as a last resort at the time, 30lb bright yellow mono straight to a hook and they didn't seem to mind at all. I guess that's why they're called pigs! Oh, that and bring a nose peg when you gut them.

I like to fish 20lb mono right to a size 1/0 hook unweighted (a tiny ball sinker if the swell/current is up). Unweighted will see a lot less by catch such as wirrah and cale. I'd up to 30lb mono if using cungie, whole prawns or crabs as you will get smoked by the odd groper or 4kg+ pig that jumps onto your bait. 20lb is more than enough for a 2-4kg drummer. A nice long whippy tip  and sturdy butt rod is versatile for other fishing styles, will help play the fish a bit better and take pressure off your line.

Even though you can catch heaps year round, they fire up a bit more during winter.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tight lines - K.

Savit - thanks for sharing all that info. We might be fishing the same area as I usually fish around Avalon rocks when I'm after drummer but occasionally try other spots. Hear what you say about the flourocarbon (pricey) so will go back to nylon but having regard to the previous comments from other Raiders I'll aim for the copolymer which having checked my tackle bag some is already of that type. I did pick up a 5kg groper on the cunje one day and was luckily using the heavier leader that day.

Hope to give the pigs a go once this swell dies off enough to make it safe. Will post another report if I do any good.

Maybe see you around the stones one day

Cheers

Phil 

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

Savit - thanks for sharing all that info. We might be fishing the same area as I usually fish around Avalon rocks when I'm after drummer but occasionally try other spots. Hear what you say about the flourocarbon (pricey) so will go back to nylon but having regard to the previous comments from other Raiders I'll aim for the copolymer which having checked my tackle bag some is already of that type. I did pick up a 5kg groper on the cunje one day and was luckily using the heavier leader that day.

Hope to give the pigs a go once this swell dies off enough to make it safe. Will post another report if I do any good.

Maybe see you around the stones one day

Cheers

Phil 

Yeah completely agree. Probably have fished the same areas.

Used to fish Avalon years ago in my teens. Spent many of my winter days catching well over a bags worth at times (only ever kept a few for home though. Theyre addictive to catch eh?). 

Id usually start at the far end of the headland at south avalon and work my way back towards the ocean pool there...casting at all the washy ledges along the way.

In big swells i would have my wetsuit on and fish behind the rail/chains that line the pool at Avalon. You would get soaked by some big waves BUT in between sets you would get a 8 to 10 second window to cast your line into that small hole there. Usually you would get a hookup pretty quickly.

Mate, give Long Reef a go if you havent already. Ive been lucky enough to have Koalaboi guide me around the area. I fish it even in big swells. Theres always a spot to fish no matter the condition or tide. Really high tides are great for pussyfooting...still getting the hang of it but its produced some decent bream and the odd drummer.

Plenty of drummer (silvers and blacks) and groper lurking along those ledges.

Well done on the groper btw. Its always a welcome by catch when drummer fishing. Im always worried that ill hook a big blue on a lighter rod though...thatd be an expensive trip!

Let me know how the copolymer goes. Ive seen it at the stores. Never tried it though.

Tight lines

Edited by Kracka
Added information

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Do you use a float with a stopper when fishing for drummer as you do with luderick??

Whats a good drummer set up please?

A 12 foot rod that is quite firm towards the base and reasonably light tip, I use a Gary Howard 7144 (the 7 is wraps of glass making it quite strong and 144 is number of inches long).Traditionally guys used an Alvey reel but I prefer a threadline (eggbeater) with 20 or 30lb line. Some use mono,  I like braid with a leader of 20-30lb .

This set up may seem heavy handed for fish that are usually only 1 or 2kg (occasionally I'll get a 3-4kg model) but they pull extremely hard straight away and dive for the near cave or ledge which results in a bust off if you fish light.

Whether I use a float depends on how rough the bottom is, I prefer to just fish a 1/0 double X hook ( a good drummer can straighten a normal hook) with a small pea sinker straight onto the back of the hook (bigger sinker if a lot of wash). If I'm getting snagged a lot I'll use a bobby cork and stopper . Bait is bread, cunje or prawns or if I can get them, crabs.  Bread burley mixed with weed is good to attract drummer and keep them around but it can also bring in the rubbish fish.

You have to fish where there is wash and hopefully some deep water nearby. No wash - no fish. As always with rock fishing - rock cleats are a must and check the swell for a while before you decide to fish a spot - also know what the tide is doing as some rocks start out safe but are dodgy as the tide comes in.

Hope that's of use.

Phil

• Like 1