Weipa Report

LuckyFil

Did Weipa in August this year (usually May or June) . Very windy this time and water cooler than usual (26 instead of 29 degrees) and offshore water was quite cloudy at times - the locals put this down to the ongoing windy conditions whipping up a lot of chop and at times a fair swell coming up from the bottom of the gulf. I say all this as the fishing was pretty ordinary compared to what it can be. 

All previous reports had indicated the tuna were scarce so we hadn't expected to find any but luckily picked up a few, with one good session of them working the surface and we all landed a couple and losing others to pulled hooks or sharks - yes they're still around and in big numbers, possibly due to the shortage of tuna! The longtails were the usual size averaging 8-10kg  and we'd all forgotten how hard and fast they pull - finished that session with big grins and lots of chatter about how much fun it was.

Pera Rocks were holding queenies, some quite big, but not turned on so hard work to get them interested. Steve nabbed a nice one of around a meter and I picked up a smaller one. Plenty of small mackerel snipping our lures which was annoying.

Denis managed a very nice spanish amongst the tuna school and extracted him from a large whaler on its heels. That fed us for several days and has to be one of the top table fish in my book.

Due to the windy conditions and lumpy swell we couldn't get down to the Norman River but did have a few sessions in the creeks in Weipa Harbour, managing some queenies,  fingermark, javelin fish (grunter) and even a couple of small barra.

We fished the inshore reefs around Boyd Bay most evenings with one crew landing a nice bunch of fingermark and I picked up my PB tusk fish which went 60cm (and nudged the scales at 5kg. As usual it was a real tussle to extract him from the reef and the 80lb leader was shredded but held on long enough to get him in the net. Again a top quality table fish. 

Had a funny experience while reef fishing that could have ended up quite nasty. Denis was leaning over the gunnel removing the hook from a trevally when I heard a chop on the surface beside us. I looked over in time to see a mackerel leave the water heading straight at him. I yelled 'look out' and he jumped aside just as it landed in the boat between us. As you may know all mackerel have razor sharp teeth so we were dancing around the boat trying to avoid getting bitten. Who needs a rod and reel to catch fish!

Included a few picks below.

Cheers

Fil

Image.jpg

Image 7.jpg

Image 6.jpg

Image 13.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Excellent Phil, buggar about the wind though and the Tuskie is certainly a cracker.

The funny looking fish is a Papuan Jawfish, funny thing I got one in May when I was up there and caught on a White Bucktail Jig.

Thanks for that info I'll tell the other guys in the crew what it was. Interesting you caught one on the same style of jig I was using, which incidentally was very popular with many species up there - it was only small with a 1/6th head but everything had a crack at it.

Did you also find the bluewater fishing was quiet? Other reports I've read from May /June also complained about the winds.

Fil

10 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Thanks for that info I'll tell the other guys in the crew what it was. Interesting you caught one on the same style of jig I was using, which incidentally was very popular with many species up there - it was only small with a 1/6th head but everything had a crack at it.

Did you also find the bluewater fishing was quiet? Other reports I've read from May /June also complained about the winds.

Fil

Yeah we had wind up there at that time and made it hard for us fishing the reefs, which we only did a couple of times.

We got a few Trout, Fingermark, Tuskies, plus all the Reef sundries but no problem as we let most go.

Virtually no surface action and only saw a couple of Northern Blues when moving the boat but we did make it up to the Norman one day.

Oh and we never got one decent Mackerel couple of Tiny ones and a few snips offs.

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...