Lure fishing rod info

fishii

Hi All 

I am looking for info on a lure fishing rod ( Spinning Reel) . Going to be using it for hardbody lures/ metal lures weighing around 50gms .Is there a difference between jig spin rod / top water rod ? I would be fishing off the rocks so something around 8ft  rod length would be ideal . Shimano jewel had a top water rod around 8ft . Is this a good option, or if you guys know anything with Daiwa or Penn would be great

Thanks

Edited by fishii

On 8/24/2018 at 4:56 PM, fishii said:

Hi All 

I am looking for info on a lure fishing rod ( Spinning Reel) . Going to be using it for hardbody lures/ metal lures weighing around 50gms .Is there a difference between jig spin rod / top water rod ? I would be fishing off the rocks so something around 8ft  rod length would be ideal . Shimano jewel had a top water rod around 8ft . Is this a good option, or if you guys know anything with Daiwa or Penn would be great

Thanks

8ft is a little short off the rocks, depending on where you are fishing but yeah daiwa crossfire surf is a pretty good rod, not too pricey either

Why not the jewel 9'6"?

much better suited off rocks than the 8ft model

spin jigs rods are more parabolic and are suited to bottom jigging, either by deep jigging or slow/slow shore.

top water rods have more bottom power and would bend at load halfway and more suited to pelagics using diving hardbodies and metal slugs.

18 minutes ago, FishermanSteve said:

Rod shouldn't be too short mate maybe 10ft or more. I personally use 14ft on the rocks keeps me safely away from the edge. See a lot of guys with short rods way to close to the water it isn't good practice ? 

Gotta back up steve on this one, you want something at a minimum of 12ft, 14ft/15ft perfect, keeps you decent distance away from the edge especially for rock fishing

If you're looking to do pelagic spinning off the rocks I would suggest a rod between 8' - 10'6". Line class would depend what you're looking to chase?

I have a light and a heavy rod for poppers and lures. My light combo is a Amia Assassin 9ft 1-2 PE and my heavy is a Daiwa Saltist Hyper 9'6" 6 PE. I use these combos to chase mostly kings (small - large). The Saltist hyper also seconds as my groper rod when I need it too.

What reels are you going to pair this rod with?

I've tried long rods, it doesn't work with the amount of casting and retrieving required for this kind of fishing. Check out the morning tide boys if you want to see example of gear chasing GT and large reef fish

Edited by connico

44 minutes ago, Squ!rt said:

Gotta back up steve on this one, you want something at a minimum of 12ft, 14ft/15ft perfect, keeps you decent distance away from the edge especially for rock fishing

Working a lure at 12ft or more is a mission

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, xerotao said:

Working a lure at 12ft or more is a mission

Shimano do some very nice lightweight rods at 12ft you can use for lures. I have one and never get tired arms. Also reel wise a baitrunner or baitrunner style reel is good because you can effectively free spool the fish if it goes in to a tight space. If they think they are off they will likely swim out and you can land it. Make sure you have a long net handle too. Mines about 5meter 

1 hour ago, FishermanSteve said:

Shimano do some very nice lightweight rods at 12ft you can use for lures. I have one and never get tired arms. Also reel wise a baitrunner or baitrunner style reel is good because you can effectively free spool the fish if it goes in to a tight space. If they think they are off they will likely swim out and you can land it. Make sure you have a long net handle too. Mines about 5meter 

All depends what he wants to fish for and where.

Iv landed anything from yakkas to longstails off the rocks on a 9'6" and my 10ft off the rocks without a gaff or net.

Sorry but my opinions are based off my experience.

12ft rod running a baitrunner style reel is what I use for bottom bashing off the rocks or running livies out. Way to heavy to be spinning lures. Think I’d last about a dozen cast before I give up on a good day.

My light pe2 spinning off the rocks out fit is 9’6 and PE4 setup is 10’. Honestly recon the 9’6 is perfect. Light weight, optimum length for myself for cast further if I need to and enough to bring in the fish. 10’ is good too however some locations it’s slightly long as I would sometimes hit the tip of it on the cliff right behind me. If it’s spinnjng lures 9-10 foot for baits would be the 12. 

Baitrunners are slightly heavy than u need them to be for spinning lures. Not saying can’t but if you had the option why would you. If u need to release the line open the spool. Just the way I’d fish if i have to let it run but I’ve not encounter a situation where I had to on my spinning setup

• Like 1