Kingfish

antonywardle

I had the chance to go out with a mate on Saturday to try and catch some king fish. The ride out was a bit lumpy, but we got to the spot and we were live baiting and jigging.

I managed to get my first King on a jig. I think we were in about 120 metres and I found it all rather hard work. One of the crew showed me how to change my style and I think it improved. It was till hard work. I ended up with three keepers, all in the high 70's. I need a lesson on holding fish for photos because this one looks tiny!

kingfish1.jpg.8ede1cab5fcf934bfb1f2096e147e8fa.jpgkingfish2.jpg.fff17d0f219949a37c2e4a21341d05e9.jpg

Anyway, I headed home and decided to try my hand at lightly seasoned and sashimi.

kingfish3.jpg.eac832c47287d2870077a86f155dbf73.jpg

Plenty of fish left over and this was the final result

kingfish4.thumb.jpg.b8b0d67277958c595e9148007e4b4881.jpg

Pretty happy with the result. 

I got a second pass for  Sunday and headed out to the flathead grounds.It was a bit smoky after Lion Island had been on fire the night before from a lightning strike.  @kiwicraig and @flatheadluke were out there too, so I tried to catch up with them. I got a bit confused as I thought they were both on the same boat, but it turns out they were on different boats. Didn't see them, and I think that they didn't get much. I managed to get a few flathead and then came home to start the cleaning process. A nice weekend for me.

• Like 10

Great stuff Anthony! 120m of water is certainly hard work! But you got your rewards! If that fish your holding is the one in the sink, then yes you definitely need improve your fish holding technique! Haha ? Well done 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789

I really should do the radio course and get an mmsi so we can more easily track each other’s movements. Craig’s has an mmsi.

9 hours ago, antonywardle said:

I had the chance to go out with a mate on Saturday to try and catch some king fish. The ride out was a bit lumpy, but we got to the spot and we were live baiting and jigging.

I managed to get my first King on a jig. I think we were in about 120 metres and I found it all rather hard work. One of the crew showed me how to change my style and I think it improved. It was till hard work. I ended up with three keepers, all in the high 70's. I need a lesson on holding fish for photos because this one looks tiny!

kingfish1.jpg.8ede1cab5fcf934bfb1f2096e147e8fa.jpgkingfish2.jpg.fff17d0f219949a37c2e4a21341d05e9.jpg

Anyway, I headed home and decided to try my hand at lightly seasoned and sashimi.

kingfish3.jpg.eac832c47287d2870077a86f155dbf73.jpg

Plenty of fish left over and this was the final result

kingfish4.thumb.jpg.b8b0d67277958c595e9148007e4b4881.jpg

Pretty happy with the result. 

I got a second pass for  Sunday and headed out to the flathead grounds.It was a bit smoky after Lion Island had been on fire the night before from a lightning strike.  @kiwicraig and @flatheadluke were out there too, so I tried to catch up with them. I got a bit confused as I thought they were both on the same boat, but it turns out they were on different boats. Didn't see them, and I think that they didn't get much. I managed to get a few flathead and then came home to start the cleaning process. A nice weekend for me.

Nice, you would have to be happy with that.

• Thanks 1