A tough day but a nice mixed bag

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Headed out today in tough conditions. We got to rose bay ramp at 6am with only two boat trailers parked....i started to wonder if i had misread the forecast. Early morning rolling swell of about 1.5 - 2m with westerly wind which turned southerly around 10am. Conditions eased off and got a little better around midday. 

We started off fishing a little reef wide of north head in about 70m and got one flathead, a big squid and some red spot whiting.

Plenty of birds working the surface along the 50m line but whatever fish they were following were moving very fast, so much so that by the time we positioned the boat upwind of them wed only get a cast or two before they were out of reach.

Eventually got sick of the washing machine conditions so headed for the calmer waters off manly/queenscliff. Here we managed a few flathead again, but couldnt keep the tiny flathead off our baits. 

We then moved to the reefs along the south side of long reef, here we picked up some snapper with two coming onboard that were keepers.

Moved again to another reef in deeper water and found some flathead sitting along the edges, picked up a few then the bite turned off.

Headed back to the reef off north head in 70m and came across a nice school of snapper boating another 4 legals and a few more flathead with plenty of throwbacks such as XXL mowied and bakers.

All in all a niced mixed bag, though we had to move around and work hard to find the fish.

Heading out again tomorrow for another bottom bash wide of long reef.

Cheers

Sam

Screenshot_20180930-185005.png

Screenshot_20180930-185025.png

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Definitely a nice mixed bag there Sam! I thought the forecast looked pretty lumpy too but you got and managed a feed! Well done ? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. It was pretty lumpy early in the morning but we put up with it !

4 hours ago, frankS said:

You've got to be happy with that, a nice catch a few good feeds there, well done and thanks for sharing with us.

Frank

Cheers mate, thanks

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

That is a good feed Sam, a nice mixed bag as the heading states.

Thanks Yowie. Always nice to get a variety for the table

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Tasty mate. Well done. Lumpy water is better than renovating definitely!!

cheers

Zoran

Cheers Zoran

Having some work done at home? Or are u putting on the nailbelt ! I know you like to get hands on.

3 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done nice feed there

Thanks mate, they went down well battered with chips and salad.

14 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Having some work done at home? Or are u putting on the nailbelt ! I know you like to get hands on.

Dad was a sparkie so I grew up around construction - never been shy to strap on the nail belt or get my hands dirty. My bro-in-law and I are renovating our holiday home in Huskisson. 

BTW, I'm pretty sure I could smell the fresh fish and chips from my place - would have tasted great I'm sure !!  

Tight lines.

Cheers Z

23 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Tasty mate. Well done. Lumpy water is better than renovating definitely!!

cheers

Zoran

Not a bad part of the world to have a holiday home. At least when your there you "feel" like your on holidays !! until the renos are finished and then they actually become holidays haha.

Fish n chips went down great, had one of each, whiting, snapper and flathead. All battered and pan fried.