Squidding in the rain

SydneyIsSkyBlue

Hi guys,

Thinking of heading out somewhere in Sydney for a flick on Friday or Saturday but the weather doesn't look too kind at the moment. Has anyone had any positive experiences chasing squid in wet weather or is it  more likely to be a deterrent?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by SydneyIsSkyBlue

Many will tell you squiding will be harder in the rain due to the freshwater sitting on top of the salt. I have found this to be false. There has been a few instances where I have been more successful in rain or after heavy rainfall. All depends if the squid are there or not and which jigs you use. I find they tend to be more fussy around jig colours than fresh water. just my opinion.

There is no doubt in  my mind that there are far less squid caught during rain than on nice calm sunny days.

But I'll tell you why, it's because there are far less people out there trying to catch them.

Get out there and give it a try, and let us know how you went.

Frank

• Like 3

I had a go last Wednesday no squid for me but the drift was very fast did manage to find some decent taylor in watsons bay taking 10gm halcos,. Fogot my jacket and by the time I got home I was pretty wet. However glad to be fishing Friday weather looks good I would try around Lady Jane or bottle and glass with the ese wind

I haven’t squid fished much in the rain but I was caught in a rain storm in the middle of Botany Bay on the drift.   The squid became very aggressive near the surface all Arrows though. 

I’m confident they still eat in the rain though.

A sea anchor helps a lot if the drift is fast.

16 hours ago, Welster said:

I haven’t squid fished much in the rain but I was caught in a rain storm in the middle of Botany Bay on the drift.   The squid became very aggressive near the surface all Arrows though. 

I’m confident they still eat in the rain though.

A sea anchor helps a lot if the drift is fast.

Arrows don't mind the water a little bit dirty so you also get them further up the river. I've caught them at Captain Cook Bridge. But i have found that the green eye squid like it very clean