Boating in Tuggerah lakes

k1ngy

Hey Raiders,

just seeing what Tuggerah lakes is like to drive a tinny. I know around it’s shallow around Chittaway Bay but does anyone know the depth in the middle of the lake.. can you drive from Chittaway Bay to the entrance bridge?

Hi k1ngy

The lake is around 2.5m to 2.8 deep across the lake. There is no problem running across the lake, I regularlly launch at the  Nth Entrance ramp and fish up Wyong River or Ourimbah Creek but you need to be aware of the shallow water areas around the edges of the lake. Not sure how big your tinny is but it can get pretty wild and choppy in the middle of the lake if its windy.

On the Eastern side of the lake, if you want to get to the bridge, there is a choice of 3 channels that will get you there. If you have a look on Google maps using satellite view, you can clearly see the channels and the shallow flats around them. They are clearly marked with channel markers but remember there are no shortcuts as the water outside of the channel can be very shallow. There is also map at https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/usingwaterways/maps/boating-maps/8b-tuggerah-budgewoi-munmorah.pdf which shows the channels clearly.

The West Channel which is probably easiest to get to from Chittaway comes in past Pelican Island into the main area west of the bridge. There is very shallow water to the north of this channel that runs across to the North Channel - at high tide you can usually drift across it though.

The South Channel comes in past Picnic Point - you have to watch the shallow water west of the channel so as long as you come in around the channel markers at the mouth of the channel you should be fine.

The North Channel comes in at North Entrance past the old co-op and through the channel beside Terilbah island and from there you can go under the bridge.

The western side of the bridge is very shallow now, not much more than a metre deep but you can still get a boat through to the deeper area that is being dredged on the eastern side or go under the bridge to connect with the north channel.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Hill373737
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, Hill373737 said:

Hi k1ngy

The lake is around 2.5m to 2.8 deep across the lake. There is no problem running across the lake, I regularlly launch at the  Nth Entrance ramp and fish up Wyong River or Ourimbah Creek but you need to be aware of the shallow water areas around the edges of the lake. Not sure how big your tinny is but it can get pretty wild and choppy in the middle of the lake if its windy.

On the Eastern side of the lake, if you want to get to the bridge, there is a choice of 3 channels that will get you there. If you have a look on Google maps using satellite view, you can clearly see the channels and the shallow flats around them. They are clearly marked with channel markers but remember there are no shortcuts as the water outside of the channel can be very shallow. There is also map at https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/usingwaterways/maps/boating-maps/8b-tuggerah-budgewoi-munmorah.pdf which shows the channels clearly.

The West Channel which is probably easiest to get to from Chittaway comes in past Pelican Island into the main area west of the bridge. There is very shallow water to the north of this channel that runs across to the North Channel - at high tide you can usually drift across it though.

The South Channel comes in past Picnic Point - you have to watch the shallow water east of the channel so as long as you come in around the channel markers at the mouth of the channel you should be fine.

The North Channel comes in at North Entrance past the old co-op and through the channel beside Terilbah island and from there you can go under the bridge.

The western side of the bridge is very shallow now, not much more than a metre deep but you can still get a boat through to the deeper area that is being dredged on the eastern side or go under the bridge to connect with the north channel.

Hope this helps.

Some sound advice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey master, 

thank you you so much for the detailed info. I just never see anyone boating across from chitto but this is great to know. My tinny is 4.29m long, depth of 1.07m so think I should be fine.

Looking at the map, it looks like you can open up the motor (weather permitting) in the middle of the lake?

It also looks like Ourimbah creek is pretty shallow?

Cheers again

The only other thing to be aware of is there can be very big areas of weed floating on the surface - if its around, I always keep an eye on the leg of my motor and the transducer as it builds up there pretty quickly.

Ourimbah Creek is fine, its speed limited so fairly straight forward to navigate, once you  go under the Wyong Rd bridge you need to keep an eye out for snags.

• Like 1