Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out this morning to Bate Bay with a mate who wanted a feed of flatties. A change to fish there in a bigger boat rather than my tinny.

First drop just after sunrise and we stopped after 9am. Released about the same number of Blue Spots as we kept, they were just on or just under legal size.

Of the ones we kept, most were 35 to 40cm, with the biggest just on 50cm. Spikey flattie fillets as bait.

Little swell and very little wind, so  a slow drift but we found the fish, with a few double headers.

fish.jpeg_163.thumb.png.0b40abf886d19f73a7a11510c571d140.png

• Like 3

Thank you all, just finished a feed of the fillets. Marinated in lime juice, lime zest, sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce, accompanied by chips and veges, and downed with a bottle of W.A. wine that I bought on my trip to the other side of the world (well, Western Australia that is).

My daughter called around for a visit and said, I'll have some of those fillets.

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Great bag of flatties Yowie....those fillets would have been very tasty.

Like you, i normally eat my catch on the same day and with 6 people in the family a bag of 10 flatties is about right. They taste best when eaten on the same day as caught.

I keep fish for up to 3 days for eating - frozen if kept longer, but that rarely happens.

16 hours ago, Yowie said:

I keep fish for up to 3 days for eating - frozen if kept longer, but that rarely happens.

Me too (if cooking it of course!). My great uncle was a pro fisho, and used to leave snapper, mulloway, big trevs etc for his own table for a couple of days in the fridge. As a matter of course.