Finally managed to get out

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Wanted to fish last saturday but the forecast was for 16 knot winds and circa 1.4m waves so stayed home. Woke up and checked real time winds were between 5 and 7 knots from 6am to 12pm which is the time i usually fish..kicking myself. 

Finally got out today for a joint expedition with a mate who recently bought a new boat but wants to do his initial trips with another boat in company just in case. I was more than happy to spend the day together and show him some new spots and how to fish them. So we headed out me and dad on one boat and my mate and his two brothers in his boat. It provided some friendly competition but the plan was to keep each other informed when we come across a good patch and wed both move to drift over it and that we did the whole day. 

One thing that we consistently encountered today.....slimies...they were literally everywhere sitting over every reef we fished and whilst it got annoying at one point i was uplifted by the thought of the summer pelagics who are on their way for the slimies. 

I kept a few slimies which i filleted and salted for the next trip but i am saving my freezer space for the bonnie fillets when they arrive.

The 60-70m line off the northern beaches is really producing, we found 90% of our catch in that depth. Flathead, whiting snapper and the odd gurnard including mowies and pigfish. In the end we both managed a nice mixed bag each.

We all bagged out on flatties, me and dad kept one legal red and 7 whiting.

The other photo is my mates mixed bag, needless to say he was pretty chuffed with a bag like that being relatively new to fishing.

Thx for reading

Screenshot_20181027-200705.png

Screenshot_20181027-200803.png

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Gday Raiders

Wanted to fish last saturday but the forecast was for 16 knot winds and circa 1.4m waves so stayed home. Woke up and checked real time winds were between 5 and 7 knots from 6am to 12pm which is the time i usually fish..kicking myself. 

Finally got out today for a joint expedition with a mate who recently bought a new boat but wants to do his initial trips with another boat in company just in case. I was more than happy to spend the day together and show him some new spots and how to fish them. So we headed out me and dad on one boat and my mate and his two brothers in his boat. It provided some friendly competition but the plan was to keep each other informed when we come across a good patch and wed both move to drift over it and that we did the whole day. 

One thing that we consistently encountered today.....slimies...they were literally everywhere sitting over every reef we fished and whilst it got annoying at one point i was uplifted by the thought of the summer pelagics who are on their way for the slimies. 

I kept a few slimies which i filleted and salted for the next trip but i am saving my freezer space for the bonnie fillets when they arrive.

The 60-70m line off the northern beaches is really producing, we found 90% of our catch in that depth. Flathead, whiting snapper and the odd gurnard including mowies and pigfish. In the end we both managed a nice mixed bag each.

We all bagged out on flatties, me and dad kept one legal red and 7 whiting. The other photo is my mates mixed bag 

Thx for reading

Screenshot_20181027-200705.png

Screenshot_20181027-200803.png

Looks like you caught a couple.You can open up your own fish shop with that haul.Well done fellas!

20 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Looks like you caught a couple.You can open up your own fish shop with that haul.Well done fellas!

Thanks mate ! You would think thats alot of fish but we had most of the fish for dinner and with 8 of us at the table i only ended up putting 3 flatties in the freezer. 

19 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Awesome result mate. Well done !

Cheers Zoran

Im glad u got out ! Looking forward to the report. 

13 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks mate ! You would think thats alot of fish but we had most of the fish for dinner and with 8 of us at the table i only ended up putting 3 flatties in the freezer. 

Cheers Zoran

Im glad u got out ! Looking forward to the report. 

I know.They don,t last long with a crowd of people devouring them.Looking forward to Zorans report too.

Hey guys. I’m enjoying a 2nd glass of red. Antony said he’d write the report - but last I heard he was chasing bream and pigs even after being on a boat all day. NOW THATS A DEDICATED RAIDER !!! 

Cheers Z

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, sam bros said:

Great result, cant complain with a mixed bag like that

It would of probably taken longer to fillet all the fish than it did to catch it

Thanks mate

Recently we started cleaning our fish during the last hour of our trip and throw the scales and guts over the side as berley.

I wish i could remove the heads and fillet the flatties but they need to remain incase you get checked by fisheries.

That makes the amount of work at home so much easier as its basically just washing down and cleaning the boat and trailer. 

14 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks mate

Recently we started cleaning our fish during the last hour of our trip and throw the scales and guts over the side as berley.

I wish i could remove the heads and fillet the flatties but they need to remain incase you get checked by fisheries.

That makes the amount of work at home so much easier as its basically just washing down and cleaning the boat and trailer. 

I must be doing it all wrong.I always put the flattys on ice in the Esky to expire  then once home just take the  fillets off them and freeze the remaining frame,head and guts thats all still intact until bin morning.No gutting or chopping the head off for me.

26 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I must be doing it all wrong.I always put the flattys on ice in the Esky to expire  then once home just take the  fillets off them and freeze the remaining frame,head and guts thats all still intact until bin morning.No gutting or chopping the head off for me.

I used to do that but when you have so many fish to clean it is very tiring to clean at home and the wife absolutely hates freezing 30 fishheads and guts in the freezer. No matter how many bags i put them in those spikes always manage to make sure they Leak fish juice all inside the freezer. Besides.....when u have 30 fishheads and guts i dont have enough space in the freezer!!!

Edited by GoingFishing

23 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

when you have so many fish to clean it is very tiring to clean at home

Real world problems right there.lol.I do know what your saying though with freezer space if you don't have room.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I recommend brain spiking the flatties before you put them in the Esky.  Two main benefits.  

1) the fish tastes better because it puts less stress related acids in the muscle.

2) if you do it right it goes limp and stays that way - rather than going stiff in a C shape.  This makes the filleting much easier.

There are some who don't buy into that first point.  I've had catches where I have missed one and I am totally convinced.  Even if you are a sceptic though, point two makes it worth while.

There is an app that shows you how to spike different species.  I have an Iki-jimi spike, but a knife or Phillips screwdriver will do the job fine.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great haul there Sam! And good on you for showing your mate a few spots and how it’s done! It also helps with there confidence when there’s another boat nearby! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Scratchie 

Thats the raider spirit to share with others isnt it !

8 hours ago, kiwicraig said:

I recommend brain spiking the flatties before you put them in the Esky.  Two main benefits.  

1) the fish tastes better because it puts less stress related acids in the muscle.

2) if you do it right it goes limp and stays that way - rather than going stiff in a C shape.  This makes the filleting much easier.

There are some who don't buy into that first point.  I've had catches where I have missed one and I am totally convinced.  Even if you are a sceptic though, point two makes it worth while.

There is an app that shows you how to spike different species.  I have an Iki-jimi spike, but a knife or Phillips screwdriver will do the job fine.

I agree a simple brain spike for the flatties is the best way to dispatch them. Certainly makes handling them easier. The amount of times ive been spiked ! 

• Like 2